El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a v6 to v8 engine swap in my 1982 elcamino. I timed it and it ran great for a few days. I even drove it to work. But on my way back from work it started sputtering and backfiring. I had to limp it home. Now I can start it up and it idles and runs great for around 15-20 minutes until the engine gets to operating temperature. Then I cant even get it to stay at idle before it dies.

I dont think its is the electric choke, (Edelbrock 1403 Performer carb) Ive been messing with that all day. Even when the engine is hardly running I will push the choke in or out and that doesn't help.

I dont think its vapor lock, because when its running and i pump the throttle I can see fuel come into the carb.

All vacuum lines are new besides the advance timing which shouldn't be a big deal.

Anyone have any ideas?? I feel like Ive tried everything and still cant figure it out.

·
Registered
12,538 Posts
if you changed the intake manifold and did not over torq the bolts the first time??
try re-torqing the intake bolts, they will work loose when the motor heats up sometimes..

are you running a fuel pressure regulator with the edelbrok??
they dont like normal fuel pressures, they need it down about 4.5psi..

can you tell if its going rich or lean??
did the timing move??

:texas:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re torquing the intake manifold is a good idea, Ill start with that. Ill even use new bolts as I just used the original bolts when putting the new intake on.

No fuel pressure regulator, but did put a new fuel pump and inline filter.

I dont think the timing is moving, Ive adjusted it twice now and it doesnt seem to help when I turn the distributor while Its sputtering.

·
Registered
12,538 Posts
the old bolts should work ok, just check if any have loosened up..

edelbroks are very finiky on fuel pressure, they seem to be ok for a little while then it goes rich..
a stock pump may put out 7psi, thats too much..

pull some plugs and see what they look like??

·
Deputy Director, Region 25 Site Supporter
2,574 Posts
Does it have an electronic distributor? Sounds like it could be a bad module.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I remember when I had my 305 w/edlebrock and then 350 w/ edlebrock. Seemed both engines didn't run right then put a Holly on it..man what a big difference (to the good)..So you say u check u distributor.....what about the plugs...are they loose??..plug wires...did they get burnt by the headers? or maybe ur vacuum lines arse backwards??

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
If you used an Edelbrock fuel pump, that may, ( or may not )be part of your problem. Those pumps seem to have around 7 PSI, which is more than their carbs like.

It does sound like an intake leak might be part of it, like JJ said. You could spray some WD40 along the intake gasket area when the engine is idling, & see if RPM picks up. which kinds indicates leaks....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the replies. Ill start with a fuel pressure regulator then go from there. Ill reply If that fixes it or not.

·
Registered
12,538 Posts
did you try anything yet?? any changes??
rule anything out yet??

try and see if its running rich or not
pull the plugs, if there dark or black its rich??
pull the PCV vacuum hose off the carb a little, and see if runs better or worse with more air??

you can check the spark, see f it has a good blue arc ??
maybe check the cap and rotor??
if it quits running, i'd check the rest of the ignition- module, coil...

how old are the plug wires??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I messed with it today before going to work. I cant even keep it running anymore. I did pull all the plugs and they were all wet and black. I cleaned them all and installed them back in.

The plug wires all look good so I dont think its them,

I checked the spark and It was good with a blue arc. (weird thing is that the engine seemed to run longer with one of the plugs out while my wife was cranking)

Every time it runs for a little bit and then ends up dying it burps out of the carb.

Im thinking its a fuel problem but Im still confused on whats causing this..

·
Registered
12,538 Posts
wtg Andrew
probly the fuel pressure problem

the black wet plugs say its real rich, they are probly bad now/fuel fouled now,
replace them after fixing the pressure problem..

one of these will fix the pressure, set it about 4-4-1/2 psi
https://www.amazon.com/Holley-12-80...rd_wg=Vj7vK&psc=1&refRID=Z556P04KHBV5BYT9NTJJ

you can get a gauge to set the pressure
https://www.amazon.com/Spectre-Perf...rd_wg=1YF4G&psc=1&refRID=7N8PENNJ72EHQRQH9TXQ
there are others too, you dont have to run it all the time,
you can replace the gauge with a strait pipe fitting after testing..

mount it like this
pump>filter>regulator>gauge>carb

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So since I last posted I installed the fuel pressure regulator.. Still had running problems and decided to take off the carb to adjust the floats and clean out the needle and seats. It seemed to have helped but Its still not quite there.. I uploaded a video since that would be the best way for you to see how its acting.

The link is here

·
ZERO MPG
15,376 Posts
Recheck the firing order and it looks like that gold canister is missing a vacuum line??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have been adjusting the regulator up and down just trying to get this thing to idle consistently but Im having no luck. I double checked my firing order and have swapped the spark plugs but they are still wet with fuel. I called edelbrock and they are willing to take the carb back and inspect it since I have it still under warranty. So at least I could rule out it being the carb or not

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have been adjusting the regulator up and down just trying to get this thing to idle consistently but Im having no luck. I double checked my firing order and have swapped the spark plugs but they are still wet with fuel. I called edelbrock and they are willing to take the carb back and inspect it since I have it still under warranty. So at least I could rule out it being the carb or not
Timing as about 6-8 BTDC

·
Registered
12,538 Posts
what is the pressure??
set it at 4 psi for tuning, thats usually plenty..
flow is more important than pressure..

are you sure the floats are set right??

get the timing right, before tuning the carb..
bump the timing up tp 10 or 12* initial, or untill the starter kicks back while starting..
and put the vacuum advance on full manifold vacuum..

that may let it idle better
youll have to check the total timing before doing any hotrodin..

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
I wouldn't use their inspection, unless they found a problem, as definitive evidence of a problematic carb. I would try another carb if you have one and see what kind of results that delivers.

·
ZERO MPG
15,376 Posts
I wouldn't use their inspection, unless they found a problem, as definitive evidence of a problematic carb. I would try another carb if you have one and see what kind of results that delivers.
X2 for sure:alc:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts