El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I installed a Vortecpro "mild" 467. Since day-1 the valvetrain has been noisy. Actually embarrassingly noisy. UPS Freight managed to deliver this engine laying on its side with all of the oil dumped out of it. One of the valve covers was torn from the tip-over, but I didn't see any valve/rocker contact. Apparently SOMETHING went awry though, as Mark had a video of the dyno run and it certainly wasn't clattering then.

I lost track of the number of times I tightened and loosened the lifter preload trying to quiet these darned things down. I actually quieted them down for about ten minutes by preloading them almost two full turns. But the clattering came right back after a short drive. (Yes; I was careful to check the valve springs before running it like that.)

Last week I finally took the intake off to pull the lifters and really check them out. They turned out to be Howards Cams #91167 lifters. I called Howards and spoke with one of their tech guys who told me that those are rebranded Morel 5373's and that they have had lots of issues with them. He suggested their #91161 lifter set which are made by Gaterman. (They look to be the same as the Gaterman #GP1002's.) I ordered a set and they arrived late Friday night. I installed them yesterday and reassembled the top end. I let the engine sit until this morning to give the Permatex Ultra Grey on the intake ends a fighting chance to seal up properly.

The height difference between the lifter sets was only .043" so I didn't have to mess with new pushrods. I did confirm a good valve tip contact when I installed everything.

This morning I added coolant, set the timing, and went for a drive. NOW, FINALLY, this engine sounds very nice. A barely perceptible amount of valvetrain noise is still there, but it's completely normal and tolerable. I have dual 21" mufflers with an X-pipe and full tailpipes on the car so it runs very quiet. If I had any sort of "performance" exhaust system on it you wouldn't hear the lifters at all.

For the first time since installing this engine a year ago I can drive it without being embarrassed by the clattering.

Don't take this as any kind of slam against Mark at Vortecpro. This is a very strong engine and the bad lifters were something that could happen to anyone. I'm just happy that I can finally drive this car without seething about the ridiculous clattering noises.

So if any of you have noise issues with hydraulic rollers, well...

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
what I don't understand is why wasn't Vortecpro supporting you in this noise issue. they built the engine and presumably have built others like it. you called up Howards and they told you the issue right off. why couldn't Mark at VortecPro have done this or known about this?

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what I don't understand is why wasn't Vortecpro supporting you in this noise issue. they built the engine and presumably have built others like it. you called up Howards and they told you the issue right off. why couldn't Mark at VortecPro have done this or known about this?
Mark did offer to send me new lifters as well as new intake gaskets but I was concerned about having the same issue if I used the same lifters. It was my choice to call Howards.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Mark did offer to send me new lifters as well as new intake gaskets but I was concerned about having the same issue if I used the same lifters. It was my choice to call Howards.
ahhh, so it sounds like he was not aware of the issue

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ahhh, so it sounds like he was not aware of the issue
Once I called him to ask him about it he was more than willing to do whatever necessary to get it corrected. He built this engine over a year ago and he was thinking that he’d used another brand of lifters. Only when I pulled the intake did I discover the Howards lifters. Mark was ready to send me out new parts the same day I called him even though his build was over a year old. I’d buy another engine from him in a minute. I only swapped to the other lifters after speaking with Howards directly.

Again, the point of this post was to help someone else here who may experience the same lifter noise issue. I’ve read a lot of posts on other forums where folks have fought with valvetrain noise. I found the solution to my issue with a simple parts swap. One thing I’ve learned over the years is that all things mechanical are subject to failure. I’m betting that hundreds, if not thousands of folks have used those Morel lifters with no issues. In my case though I got several bad ones in one set of 16. Maybe a late-Friday batch??? Who knows. Certainly not the fault of the guy who dropped them into the holes.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
oh, I know about this kind of stuff. 20 yrs ago there was a random huge batch of computer motherboards across all vendors that were failing with no apparent common issue except blown capacitors. a long and sordid tale involving employees and intellectual property theft of capacitors made in Taiwan. turned out the employees stole the process of manufacturing, set up their own shop, and started undercutting his prices. what they didn't know was that old man owner would go in at night and add some 'magic dust' ingredient. all that because the computer makers wanted to save a few pennies.

faulty memories about what parts were installed and all that, I wasn't taking him to task; the fact that you'd buy another engine from him is recommendation enough because of how he tried to remedy the situation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts