El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you happen to see Good Morning America, that's my '59!
We took it from Greenwich, CT yesterday morning for a piece that Lara Spencer & I have been working on.
Yesterday, they showed Lara getting into the car in Times Square outside of the ABC studios & driving off to go to a flea market. Today, they will be showing her driving around out in the country.
Yesterday was lots of fun & I hundresds of people stopped for a quick photo of the El Camino & to tell me what a great car I have. The blood, sweat & tears finally paid off & my ego couldn't have fit in the back yesterday.

If you don't catch it live, check out ABC's Good Morning America online. 6/18 & 6/19. It's probably on right now as yesterdays piece was on at the end of the show between 8:54-9

David

·
Registered
36 Posts
Looking good!

New episode isn't online yet, but I'll check it out when it's up!

I was kinda nervous when she pulled away at the end there.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Congrats, that's a sweet ride.

Doug

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Very cool, another celebrity and not the chev celebrity from back in the day a real cruck!! Way to go

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,305 Posts
...Man,I hope she a little bit easier on the cluch next time,its a hole new aminal to those young blondes to drive a stick..on the tree..CoNgRaTs..:beer::beer::You_Rock:
:beer:

·
Premium Member
2,283 Posts
Please share the story behind the story, i.e. how did she come to pick an El Camino for her story? She couldn't have picked a nicer one for sure! Congratulations!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
enshogirl, you think YOU were nervous???:wow:
Here is the story..... Just as we walked outside with Lara & the production team was giving her the 15 second count down (live tv) I said "Lara, the emergency brake is off, just put it in first, gas & ride the clutch". Well, of the hundreds of people taking photos minutes before, I had let several people sit inside. While getting out of the car, someone must have stepped on the e-brake.
So, lara was reving up & the car wasn't moving because I said it was off. I was 100' down the road when Robin yelled "take off the brake". Lara popped it & the car took off. Some of the reporters gor a real close up view!!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Story behind the story:

Lara is one of my wife's best friends & we spend a lot of time together. For a hobby, I am always tinkering with things out in my barn & repurpose vintage industrial, architectural & all sorts of things to make furniture & things for decorating. I'll take very old doors, old station or factory carst with steel wheels & make tables & old windows turn into mirrors etc.......
Lara is BIG into antiques & started with the Antiques Road Show. She started seeing the things that I was selling & we started going to estate sales & plain old junking together.
She came up with a concept which HGTV picked up (we are just finishing filming now) where two couples go head to head. They hit a flea market & have $500 & one hour to buy a bunch of crap. Then they bring it back to my place where we reinvent, refinish, repurpose & fix it. Then they go back to the flea market & sell it. the couple that makes the most gets $5k. There are two teams on each episode.
NOW, with all the comotion around my house & barn, lara thought up another concept of redecorating & reorganizing our house. We inherited my parents home & ended up with 15 years of our stuff on top of my parents 60 years of stuff. Lara did a wonderful job of redoing everything!
Moving into the home stretch, Lara asked me to join her at the Brimfield, MA flea market where we went to get her co hosts gifts for their offices. Her producer thought it would be cool if Lara drove around in an old, red pickup truck. She said "I have a friend with a really cool car!!! The rest is history.......
We did the Brimfield thing weeks ago but they shot Lara "leaving for Brimfield" on Monday. Then they showed her back with the stuff yesterday & today was our "redecorate" segment.
My '59 has been on each day & from what I hear, her producer loves it & wants to use it some more. I'll have to put an "El Camino Central" bumper sticker on!
Thanks for all the great comments!!!!!
David

·
Administrator
7,009 Posts
Congrats

Congratulations, David. However, this is NOT a BS story! This belongs in a forum where all may see your well-deserved fame. That is a GREAT lookin' Elky and this is an outstanding story for the El Camino. Your story now resides in the "Site Topics" Forum. Once more, Congratulations!...............Ken :beer: :You_Rock:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well thanks Ken! I was wondering why I couldn't find it at first LOL.
Hopefully my Elk will be getting a lot of screen time on our next show. Yep, we have something in the works which will be a little like Am. Pickers/Antiques road show/ storage wars and pawn stars all rolled into one. It will be a series if it gets picked up. So far so good!

Thanks again to everyone for all the compliments!!:You_Rock:

David

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wow, David, that sounds like an awesome show! I love Am. Pickers/Antiques road show/ storage wars. I'd love to watch a combo show like that... especially if it features a lot of screen time for that El Camino!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts