Purchased on 7/12/2014.
ODO reads 46,300 ????

Purchased new in Aurora, CO.
Been here its whole life.

VIN 136809K443662

Body Plate

TR 764 53 CPNT

050 05964

Glacier Blue with Dark Blue Vinyl Top(53)
Metallic Dark Blue Coated Fabric (764)

GOAL: Keep as original as possible. However I do want to drive the car. So mods that may not be true to the original but add driveability are not out of the question.

Example: I am adding a expansion tank to the cooling system. Not just an overflow. I will post pics when its in.

14x6 Rally wheels on it now.
Am shopping some 15x8 vette rally wheels. will then add some redlines.

picture in front of sellers home day I drove it away.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice acquisition there robpp. I picked up a nice 69 of my own in April all original down to the tires with only 18k miles on it.
I am keeping it stock except for new wheels and tires. Welcome to the board and congrats.

TD

·
Registered
823 Posts
Nice ride Rob but I'm last person to talk to about "keeping it all stock". I've upgraded all the suspension on my '71 to tubular upper and lower control arms, new slotted and cross drilled front rotors, KYB "Gas adjust" shocks, rear sway bar and everything now has poly bushings with grease fittings. The trans has a shift kit and I haven't even started on the engine, yet.

Stock is fine but I rather have car that looks "stock" but will run if not outrun and out handle anything new.

:secret:

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bought some 15x8 corvette (AZ code) rims.
came with aftermarket rings. seller had 3 100K camaro's, he restores 67-69.
i wasnt sure of the vette rings but I know the chevelle ones arent smooth at lip. I questioned, he said GM with a dirty stare so I guessed I was wrong. Instead I got played on them.
but the bonus was a set of 215/70R15 tires that are almost new. all balanced and ready to go. paid $300. not disappointed just dont like to be lied to/ next time I will do my homework and not let that happen.

a few pics

also, installed a new ac/delco gas cap. other one seemed like vent wasnt working as I got a bit of a swoosh sound.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i added a coolant recovery tank.
i did a bit of research and found that many were using a 82+ camaro tank.
while it didnt fit perfect it was close.
you will see in one of my pics I added a rubber mount ( from the old harley days) to the lower area. i could not get it mounted otherwise. on the top its bolted to the inner fender directly. only the bottom needed a spacer.

cracked the thermo housing. found a decent one at oreilly. painted it engine orange.

So new parts included:
GM Recovery tank and lid 14070997 & 15630112.
Stant Radiator cap that allow recovery 10331.
New Stant SuperStat 195 degree 45359.
New thermo housing (murray) and gasket.
New upper radiator hose. (gates)(lower looks new and feels soft so left it as is)

gas cap GM 3931449 new

some pics

here is a shot of the lower mount.

side view

frontal

·
Registered
211 Posts
Always loved the 69-70 Elkies. Picking up a 69 this Sunday.Not sure if good or bad deal, but was looking for a 69 that I can bring it up to my standards. previously owned a 70 SS, sorry now that I sold it. Will have a ton of questions for my fellow members with "how to" and "suggestions" once I get it home and start the re-hab.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^^^^^^^^^ good luck to you.

one small investment I made was a set of manuals.

Chassis Service
Chassis Overhaul
Body Manual
Part number list
Assembly

Invaluable to me as it's been a while that i worked on something from the era.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
^^^^^^^^^ good luck to you.

one small investment I made was a set of manuals.

Chassis Service
Chassis Overhaul
Body Manual
Part number list
Assembly

Invaluable to me as it's been a while that i worked on something from the era.
You got that right!
First thing I do after purchase of the vehicle. I have actually made money on the selling of the manuals after I sold the car too.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You got that right!
First thing I do after purchase of the vehicle. I have actually made money on the selling of the manuals after I sold the car too.
:thumbsup:

been a while. today I am starting the install of a new retro radio.
After some research I went with www.retrosound.com Model Two.
I also bought their dual voice front dash speaker.

here is what the current AM radio looks like.
I tried to match it as best I could. I got the same black/chrome buttons to match all my current knobs. I got a completely black face to mimic the original

original

new radio and knobs LOL

I am running a few cables into the glove box. THis radio has 2 USB connections and 2 aux inputs. AS well as RCA outs for an amp.

I am also running some speaker wires to the rear. Thats a project for another day but I will have the wires in place.

I am waiting for fedex to drop off the front speaker. then i will take a pic or two of mounting that in place of the original.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Congrats. That is one sweet-looking ride. Great color.

I bought an '86 that was originally from Loveland, CO. They must not use salt there. No rust on it whatsoever.:thumbup:

Aurora, CO

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Congrats. That is one sweet-looking ride. Great color.

I bought an '86 that was originally from Loveland, CO. They must not use salt there. No rust on it whatsoever.:thumbup:

Aurora, CO
mine was bought new here in aurora as well.

I bought it from third owner over in littleton.

:beer:

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
it took awhile to get the knob stalks in the correct position as my original radio they are offset and you need to accomodate that.

Here is a pic with new radio on top of old

fedex F'ed me and the dash speaker, which yesterday said it would be delivered toady,,,,,,now says tuesday.

so I am at a standstill. I did connect the power wires.
you need one power wire that is always ON
and another that is only on with ign.
I used the original power and ground for the ign and ground.
I ran a wire to the fuse box and tapping into the top fuse on the left side. I had found one of those terminals that you shove in the fuse holder so I used that to tap into the fuse box.

last thing is shopping some rear speakers.
I decided, if I can find a good set, to buy some square or rectangle surface mount speakers to mount in the rear upper corners under the shelf.

i am leaning towards these...the waterproof is overkill but I like the size and the specs look good too.

http://www.polyplanar.com/product/ma9060-5-14-100watt-box-speakers

1 - 20 of 234 Posts