El Camino Central Forum banner

281 - 299 of 299 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts
I did not submit one....there are so many others that are so beautiful I don't feel competitive. Thank you for the compliment!
You're way to modest, dude. That's a Fine 69! :rockon:

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #283
Who made the wheel trim? I haven’t yet decided if I’ll add them to my ‘68, but it’s good to know that someone makes them that fit well.
Not sure who made them, standard repop is my guess. They were under $100 at the El Camino store @ Ecklers.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #284
Thanx Joe......not sure you noticed or even recall, but, I took your advice long ago during my build on a thread or post on the forum you said "get da rear end down" or something like that. PO had some rear springs from some other vehicle and had cut them with a torch to install them. Elky had a trailer hitch on it at some point and I guess the taller spring helped somehow...end result at standard height....much better!! Everybody's input was a big help along the way!!

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Your truck looks fabulous compared to mine and you have me worried about finding trim that fits for my 70. I might have to ask you later for the name of the trim restorer person you used.

Hopefully, I will catch up to your level of progress on mine late this winter.

Rick

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #287
Your truck looks fabulous compared to mine and you have me worried about finding trim that fits for my 70. I might have to ask you later for the name of the trim restorer person you used.

Hopefully, I will catch up to your level of progress on mine late this winter.

Rick
Rick, The drip molding has turned into the most difficult task on my whole project. I purchased 3 sets of repop trim and was unable to install them. They are thin and just won't go on. It seems they'd fit without the vinyl top, but, that's no help.
I bought 2 sets of what I think were OEM trim from 2 of our brother forum members and they are heavier than the repops but needed restoration.
I did find a guy who does very high end Corvette and other vintage restorations and figured I'd messed up enough trim. He sent the trim to an old guy who hammered out the dents and polished it to perfection, and it looked great. However it still appeared to not be quite right and Dave could not install it. Dave sent it back to his guy and he is shrinking and stretching the trim to try to get it correct. Last I heard the guy was going to call me to take Elky to him to use it as a template.
I have gotten so much help and advice from members the past few years on every other issue I encountered along the way, but, not a single person seemed to ever have the same issue as me with the drip rail molding. I'm sure others have had to purchase the repop molding and I can only assume in their case it went on without any problems.

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts
Thanx Joe......not sure you noticed or even recall, but, I took your advice long ago during my build on a thread or post on the forum you said "get da rear end down" or something like that. PO had some rear springs from some other vehicle and had cut them with a torch to install them. Elky had a trailer hitch on it at some point and I guess the taller spring helped somehow...end result at standard height....much better!! Everybody's input was a big help along the way!!
I remember.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #289 (Edited)
Well, all's well that ends well. After a journey lasting about 18 months and considerable expense my El Camino finally has beautiful polished stainless steel roof drip molding. 3 new sets of re-pop trim and 2 sets of used trim later. A stainless trim restorer ( who quit doing it now, as he was not able to make a living at it) and 6 months working with Dave Walters at Walters engineering here in Miami, I got a Happy Ending.....not a cheap climax, but, a good looking and quite satisfying end result. Nobody seems to make replacement trim that will work with a vinyl top. We wound up working and reworking the trim. Another thing was to lift the vinyl top and remove the felt backing from the vinyl at the drip molding area and re-glue it, that provided a skoosh bit of additional room inside the trim.

Glad that is over...I have a fair number of other small project I will be working on and will share pictures and info as I go along.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #293
Thanx guys for the compliments. It's funny....what bothered me most about the whole issue with the drip molding trim was the fact I had to enlist so much help for such a minor part of my whole build. I did so much myself, and so much alone in my garage, and was unable to accomplish this small thing was discouraging. But, sometimes one just needs help. As I said all's well that ends well.

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,585 Posts
Bill , Glad you figured out the photo thing and your 69 looks great . We are all looking forward to seeing it this weekend at the Cars Of Dreams Museum fundraiser in Palm Beach , Florida . Others may want to check out this private museum , open only to a few community fund raisers a year like this Hospice event . The owner has sold 140 of his vehicles and replaced them from this years Jackson Barrett Auctions . www.carsofdreams.com . I especially like the room full of model trains with a real conductor :cool2:

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #297
Geesh, time flies. I had not realized it has been so long since I have posted. I have done a number of small projects and routine maintenance in the past several months.....but, hunting season is here, so I put her to bed for awhile.....when I get back at it, the heater control cable has come off somehow at the control head so that will be first on the agenda.
In the meantime.....it's tigers (bobcats) and bears.....Oh My!!!, but no shooter deer on our lease yet!
I wish everyone a wonderful Holiday Season!
BTW....The forum still makes good reading from a tree stand!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #298 (Edited)
Well, I finally took on the AC control cable issue. I put it off so long because it is such a PITA to remove the control head. You gotta remove the glove box door and glove box,ash tray assembly,and radio to access the AC control head. All the while fighting for floor space with the Hurst shifter! It's hard on my soon to be 73 yr old orthopedically challenged, plumper than it should be body.
I thought the center lever, the temperature lever had the cable slip off some how, but, turns out the pin the cable rides on sheared off entirely.
There is little space between the levers as they pass by each other in operation.
I priced a rebuilt control head at $285 which is what I paid for this one during my build.
I figured I had nothing to lose by attempting a repair.
I wound up drilling a hole where the pin sheared off, I countersink the topside and used a short 8-32 flat head stainless screw and nylon locknut as a new post. The countersink is key as there is but a few thousandths clearance between the top and middle levers.
Anyway, it works as it should, so I saved some money, ....I can give it to my physical therapist now!
20200614_164637.jpg
20200614_141456.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #299
I just noticed I did not include a picture of the 8-32 screw and nylon locknut I used to replace the broken heater cable post in my last post. So here it is FWIW.

Attachments

281 - 299 of 299 Posts