El Camino Central Forum banner

21 - 40 of 299 Posts

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
well, now I've done it. The old Laurel & Hardy "What a fine mess you've got us in now Ollie" comes to mind.

I had not intended to go this far, but, I had to pull the heater box to replace the heater core and just kept ''peeling the onion''. I was going to replace the dash harness at some point and this will make it easier in the long run. So, Now I will replace the under dash insulation, the firewall insulation and all the thru the firewall boots and grommets and a/c/heater vacuum hoses.
It also allows me to clean all a/s ducts and hoses which were filthy.
The AM only radio was inop, so I will order a replacement AM/FM radio and replace the dash speaker with a 2 speaker replacement. Like others I doubt I will play the radio much, preferring the sound of the exhaust running thru the gears at a rapid pace.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Steering box came today. A new item from Classic performance parts.(CH7525) 2 1/2 turns lock to lock. I installed it, new pitman arm, new idler arm,new center link, new inner and outer tie rod ends and new connector links. Finally making forward progress.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
OMG Ollie,, on the dash..

I haven't had enuff coffee this morning, but I think I'm purty sure
the pitman arm and idler arm should point rearwards.. double check that..
it would run straighter and wont hang down so low too..

:texas:
YIKES!!! I trust you JJ!......jeesh, been over a year since I took it apart!

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Ha! I did that on a swamp buggy we adapted a P/S gearbox to about 40 years ago. We had some beer and thought we'd test ride it before making the correction. I know the beer did not help, but, you just can't tell your brain if you turn left the buggy is gonna go right. It was so funny back then......still a funny story around the campfire in deer camp. Thanx again

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
sorry didnt realize you had it all fixed.

dont mean to bother you with minutia/

enjoy!
No worries...I need all the positive help I can get! Looks like you and I are doing a lot of similar work!

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I have been working on the under dash and firewall insulation. The underdash insulation reproduction are crap to be honest. They are made in one piece, but to install them in one piece you'd have to have all the braces etc removed (unwelded) so you have to cut it in pieces and spray with adhesive to install. I am going a different route with a self adhesive thermal insulation. The firewall insulation went just ok. Same thing all the steering brackets would have to be removed to install in one piece. I was able to cut it in two pieces and install with OEM retainers, but , it still required modification as some holes were not cut and some did not align properly. All I can say is do not believe ''exact replica of original equipment'' claims from repop vendors. But, it is all necessary to move forward with the steering column seal, clutch arm seal etc. and get to work on the dash wiring harness, heater box and AC vents install. There was surface rust in some area I treated with Ospho, and painted with red lead primer.I will post pics of progress in a day or so

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I wound up using a combination of the jute backed reproduction and glued it to some Norinco insulation that was self adhesive. I just cut it all to fit as best I could where I could and used the self adhesive only in some places. Gradually pecking away at it.The firewall insulation fit better and when everything gets bolted back in it should look fine.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Moving forward for a change.I installed the gauge cluster with the new harness and fuse panel. American Autowire does a great job with their harnesses. Even the fastener clips are oriented correctly.While the harness is basically plug and play when installing it must be done in concert with the A/C harness, all duct work A/C control head, heater cables and vacuum lines. I removed the seat and steering column which made access easier, but, still difficult for me anyway. I did discover if you fail to put the duct from the center vent across the top of the instruments and wiring, you have to disassemble and do it again!

I installed the heater box inside with a new heater core new gaskets and one new cable. Then moved outside and installed blower motor and case a new evaporator and the evaporator box, New PB booster,new engine wiring harness, A/C relay, wiper motor, A/C wiring etc.

Back inside, the radio and new kick panels with speakers came in so startinting to install them

The parking brake assembly and steering column base bracket had some pretty heavy surface rust, so here they are with Ospho Rust Netrulizer doing it's magic before paint and install once the kick panel is installed.

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts
Goodly sharing!

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Got the steering column painted and dressed with switches, floor plate ready with new gaskets, and a new rag joint, ready for installation

I had to abandon the dash speaker as I was unable to get a dual speaker dash mount to satisfactorily work with A/C vents etc. So I bought replacement kick panels with speakers. The emergency brake pedal would not clear the speaker so I removed the brake assembly(again)cut the pedal off and moved it towards the passenger side about 5/8" to gain sufficient clearance.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
looks good.

great work on the emer brake.
lots of peeps just space it out; you cut and weld....best way/

i have a complete non ss ac cluster and oem harness if you need anything but looks like american autowire got you well covered.

did it come with replacement sockets for the gauge lights?

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
looks good.

great work on the emer brake.
lots of peeps just space it out; you cut and weld....best way/

i have a complete non ss ac cluster and oem harness if you need anything but looks like american autowire got you well covered.

did it come with replacement sockets for the gauge lights?
Rob, it was so complete I was amazed. It had the light sockets and even the harness fasteners that plug into the top of the gauge cluster to hold the harness in place properly oriented to hold it correctly. The same was true for the A/C front lighting and the engine harnesses.They are not inexpensive, but, they are top quality in my opinion.

21 - 40 of 299 Posts