1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a man on a mission...

Turning this:

Into this:

So, I went to the body shop today. My friend, Dick, has owned the shop for over twenty years. He was a PO of my 79 Elky and did the body work and paint on it for me. He just finished a three year frame off restoration on his own 86 Choo Choo clone. It came out beautiful. I'm going to be dropping my El Camino off at his place for a major restoration next week. I've been hinting to him about doing this for me for about a year now and today we finalized the plan.

Everything is getting disassembled and sandblasted down to the bare metal. I'm not going to do a frame-off restoration on it but it'll be pretty close. I've decided to get rid of the Conquista chrome trim and have an SS paint scheme on it, but I'm not putting any SS decals on it. I'm going with base coat/clear coat for paint. Black on the top and silver metalic for the bottom. I've got a urethane front spoiler for it and I'm ordering a steel 2" cowl hood. I'm also changing the rims to the 15x7 86-87 MCSS style.

If all goes well I'll have my baby back in about ten to twelve weeks. I'm not in any rush to get it back. I know that he does excellent work and it takes time, not to mention money, to do the job correctly. I'll be stopping in to check the progress as often as I can and I'll post some pictures to show what stage it's in.

Wish me luck.

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Good luck, Ernie. Sounds like it's gonna' look really great!

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
Hi Ernie -- Give some thought to powdercoating the window trim in black to complement the overall paint scheme. It might look better than the original stainless trim they came with. Are you really going to add the bed rails and punch more holes in the pickup bed? Remember, you live in New England where we invented the killer rust that eats cars! Good Luck!

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
Wow Ernie! Looks like my 87 SS.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Sounds GREAT Ernie!!!! can't wait to see the finished product------looks like those of us who live in the Northeast will be busy for the winter!!!!!! Pete NYC

·
Banned
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John Harris said:
Are you really going to add the bed rails and punch more holes in the pickup bed?
No, I'm not adding the bedrails. All of the holes for the tonneau snaps have to be welded closed and I don't want any more holes in the body because of the potential for rust. I'm thinking of adding a Gaylord bedcover like you have on your El Camino and getting it painted a matching black.

Yes, I'm powdercoating the trim too. We discussed it and he agrees it's much better than painting the trim.

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
87ElCamino said:
Yes, I'm powdercoating the trim too. We discussed it and he agrees it's much better than painting the trim.
That's what I did with my front and rear window trim and the bed molding. Looks great.

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
Sounds great Ernie....But what will you be driving in the mean time? Got another Elky hidden away somewhere? Let's us know how bad the withdrawals get. :cool:

Make sure you take lots of before, in process & after pictures to share with us...

·
Banned
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
87SS said:
Sounds great Ernie....But what will you be driving in the mean time?

My 86 MCSS POS winter beater! :wink:

I'll be keeping a close eye on the resto and I'll post progress pics.

:mrgreen:

·
Banned
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got off work early to stop by the body shop and check on my Elkys progress. When I arrived my Elky was nowhere to be seen in the lot or in the shop. I went into the office and my friend told me it was stolen last night. I told him to quit kidding me, but he said he had been trying to call me all day to tell me.

He had me going for about 20 seconds until he cracked a smile and told me that he dropped it at the sandblasting shop this morning. I got in my MCSS and drove the 15 miles to the sandblasters. When I got there I caught them just before they closed down for the weekend. He let me in to take a few pictures. I posted about 20 in the 5th gen Members Gallery

It took a while to get this project moving but it's rolling now.

Here are the 20 pictures in the Members Gallery pictures.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ernie:
Congratulations! I think we can all appreciate your excitement, I know it something I am planning on doing - just exactly when, I don't know. But looking at the photo's of your Elky at the Sandblasters makes me more determined to do it right, and not just slap some paint on over 23 years worth of dings, dents, and paint. I can't wait to see it when completed. Good Luck!

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
Hey, looks like a DeLorean El Camino!

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
Congrats. 8)

The body looks better then mine did when it was stripped.

·
Banned
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
a72elky said:
Hey Ernie. That ain't the same Elky I saw last October??
It's the same one you saw in October 2003 Jay. It's now stripped of grill and headlights, bumpers, Conquista trim, mirrors, door hardware, etc... The sandblasting will be done by the middle of next week. It'll then get a 15 mile ride back to the body shop on a flatbed.

·
Banned
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm pleased to say that there's been some significant progress made on my El Camino.

Yesterday afternoon, I got a phone call from my wife to call the body shop. She said they had called and they need to know what color I finally decided on for my El Camino. I had made up my mind (actually my son convinced me) to paint it a 2005 Acura color called Magnesium Metallic. It's the same color as my daughters new 05 Acura RSX. So, when I returned their call to let them know the color code, they told me they'd be working Saturday and I should come see the progress.

The fenders are in primer. The doors are still in a sandblasted condition. The tailgate is ready for primer. The rear window has been removed, resealled and reinstalled. The front windshield cracked as it was being removed, but I think it's for the best. I wanted to replace the old windshield anyway. I had been thinking that all of it's tiny scratches would detract from the new paint job. Now I don't have to make the choice.

Today, I dropped off a new set of drivers door hinges along with all of the door and window weatherstripping, dew wipes, and quarter window seals. If all goes as planned It'll be painted and reassembled in about two more weeks.

Here are some more progress pictures

·
Registered
121 Posts
Pix are great - what exactly is Magnesium Metallic - Got a sample?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts