El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My big block is running just fine, but I decided it is about time to get rid of some weight on the front end of the truck. I'm going to take the parts that are in the existing Bowtie iron block and stick 'em in this block. Hopefully I'll just be replacing rings and bearings: Here's the new block!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
That is so SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:nanawrench::nanawrench:Very nice,, HP guesstamate?? I like it,,,, alot,, Matty man

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Ya know Kerno,, those Brodix blocks are no good,,,:poke: soooo you can send it to me and I will take care of it just for you,,,,,j/k those blocks are super nice,,, that is going to be sweet,,, what is the weight of that new block?? Cant wait to see that in your cruck,, nice,, very nice,,, :hail2: Matty man

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,592 Posts
Very cool, Kerno!
I've been wrenching on a Dirt Track Sprint Car since 1986. About 15 years ago, we were finally able to afford aluminum motors. Man, those things are just works of art! Are you gonna show it off, or paint it so nobody knows?

Bill

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
My 83 had front springs equiped for the factory olds diesel. The front sat a little high with a sbc/ alum intake . When I switched to an all alum/ nylon intake ls1, the front sat up like a poor man's cadillac. you'll definitely feel the difference in weight driving.
ENJOY:beer:

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I am currently running the diesel springs in the front of mine. The city of Long Beach once made the mistake of buying 8 diesel police cars, all of which lasted about 6 months. I bought one at the auction and parted it out, which gave me the springs and also a 120 mph speedometer.

The bare block weighs about 145 pounds, so it is about 200 pounds lighter than the Bowtie iron block it is replacing. The Bowtie block will be for sale. It is good to go as is and has not been hurt. Keith Black did the block work on it. It is a 4.500 bore. I'm planning to run it at 10.5:1 with the Brodix Race Rites and a fairly mild 232/242 @ .050 by .600 lift hydraulic roller cam which should continue to make it a torque monster.

I looked at the different Aluminum big blocks that are currently on the market and chose the Brodix based on the quality of the machine work and my local dyno shop's experience with the various brands..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts