El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I drive my car chokes and stutters. The light comes on and it doesn't go off. Also when it idles it shakes a little bit. Also when I put the car in reverse the car shuts off sometimes. I don't know what's wrong or what to do. Please help!!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hey Guy

There is a GREAT deal of information here and REALLY helpful bunch of guys.

BUT

You have to do your part. Spend the time to give a complete packet of information!

Engine type and modifications? How many miles on it?
At least the year and model of the cruck
What type of tranny?
What type of carb?
Are you still using the computer or has it been disconnected?

What have you done so far trying to fix this? Change fuel filters? Has this happened just since your last fill up? Did you get cheap gas and maybe get some bad gas? Any chance of water in the gas?

This type of information will help you get it resolved most quickly.

And for gods sake, CHECK YOUR SPELLING AND GRAMMER! (This is not for you but soooo many writing in have messages that are almost uncomprehendable).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are right! Sorry....... My 1985 el Camino has a stock v6 and Trans. The only thing I did was sparks and wires, fuel filter, air filter, oil change, Trans fluid change, and brake hoses. Now I'm left with this issue

·
Registered
184 Posts
So how fast did this come on after:

You changed your plugs and wires (Might have some distributor issues
You changed the fuel filter (maybe a bad filter or you installed it backwards, some have to go only one way)
After your last fill up (bag gas or such)

When it stops running, does everything else keep working? Radio, lights, heater etc.

When it quits in reverse, does it do it when you are shifting (some problem in the column with connections) or after a while? If after a while, after a few seconds of idling, or when you start to push on the gas?

What light comes on? Alternator? Check engine light?

Does it stutter like it is out of gas or like there is an electrical connection failing?

Is your computer still hooked up? and working? A computer controlled carb?

Does it do it more or less when it is warm?

Sorry for so many questions, but you will find throughout life that if you spend enough time and effort describing the situation thoroughly enough, the solution becomes apparent.

Let me know and I will get back to you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
why did you change the plugs and wires? Did it do this before you changed everything? Could be your cat converter could be plugged up. How many miles does it?

·
Master Dipstick
544 Posts
Times 2 on what horseman said about the fuel filter. It could be in back wards

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have 132,000 miles on it. I have a new distributer cap and new sparks and wires. I did change the fuel filter and that could be a issue. And when the car shuts off in reverse. Everything like radio, air etc are still on. Then I just shift the car back into park and restart. The choke light has been on for a week now and check engine light comes off and on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts