El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a total geek now with my car and have thought it imperative that I name it, I think I might have come up with one accidentally.

Was scouring local junk and salvage yards today for possible parts and talked a bit with a guy who knew Elkys. Told him I had a 73 Sprint and he pop's off, "you have Earls car". Had to run home and check the Internet.

My 73 Sprint:
http://s1073.photobucket.com/albums/w396/dccharles/1973 Sprint/

Earl Hickey's '73 Elky SS
http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_45174-Chevrolet-El-Camino-1973.html

Coincidence? I don't think so

Take Care

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course the owner is a member here LOL
Have read this forum for hours the past week, never saw that.

I think I've just had too many fortunate accidents with this car I know what I'm gonna call it.

My wife and I were married just over a year ago at 46. We knew each other well in HS 30 years ago and were good friends, she never knew I was head over heals for her then. We accidentally ran into each other on line after both of us had looked for each other unsuccessfully over the years. Found out she felt the same way about me all that time ago, we were married a year later.

Couple months ago I decide I need a second car to haul tools (I do building maintenance), didn't want a truck, always liked elkys but never owned one. Found one the next day parked literally 100 feet away in a parking lot from the site I was working that day, bright orange. This site was about 80 miles from where I live in Springfield.

I learn its actually a Sprint, more rare. Always been a collector, I'm intrigued and quickly obsessed. The car disappears from the parking lot and I panic. I contact the seller and find he has moved the car closer to his home, About 1.5 miles from my house in Springfield on the route I drive by every day. I have to have it.

I strike a deal with the seller, start thinking about everything I want to do to it. I think about paint colors and the seller tells me he believes orange is the original color (Found out since that it was actually blue). I settle on orange and begin watching for every orange car I see to find the "Perfect Orange". I'm blown away at the lack of orange cars out there LOL.

Around the corner from my house is a great mechanic who has his same color orange GMC truck (very sweet) parked out front that I have seen there for years. Guess who my mechanic is? Introduced myself to him by telling him he is supposed to be my mechanic.

I hear today about my car being a cousin of the type Earl drove in the TV show I've always loved, have been a Jason Lee fan since mallrats. Of course I have to look it up and check. Staring back at me I see pics of a bright orange 73 Elky!!!

OK, I can take a hint, no need to hit me with a car

Naming my new treasure "Karma"

Take Care

·
Silver Contributor Participating Member
461 Posts
Hey Charles - great story! Originally blue? That's another coincidence isn't it ...

I hope you have lots of fun and positive karma with Karma ...

·
Site Contributor Participating Member
561 Posts
that's a cool story:smileyb:
Earl would be proud

1 - 11 of 11 Posts