El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
5,725 Posts
Hello Eric , Glad that you joined us and hope you will enjoy the site . Thanks for posting your photos for others to enjoy . Stay tuned to the site and hopefully you can meet up with us at a get together at some point . Our closest one to you is in Oct. when we do the Oktoberfest All GM Show in Silver Springs . We are encouraging others in you area to become active and get together up in the northern and western part of Florida . If you want to find other members in your area you can go to the search area . Click on Advance Search and click on Region 6 , Fl. and it will list the members and if the person put it in , their city . Welcome .

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
My vision for this ride is simple, The only thing i have done so far is replace the entire suspension front to back. New close ratio steering box, PST super front end rebuild kit, PST springs at all 4 corners, KYB shocks all around, PST Pro Touring Front sway bar 1 5/16" and a PST GMAX 1" rear sway bar (the factory never had one on this car.) Eventually the front control arms will be replaced by PST tubular units and the rear control arms replaced by a PST boxed control arm set. The vehicle is as I purchased it with the paint on it. I provided the stripe kit.
I need to replace the floor pans next.
In Feb I am putting in a new turnkey crate motor from Phoenix Engine Rebuilders. A 350sbc with 1st gen vortec heads, dyno rated @ 350hp./375ftlb. most of the torque is low end and mid range.
I am going to replace the wheels with ION ALLOY 625 in 15X8 with 255/60R/15 rubber all around.
As soon as my center console gets here from ebay, I am installing my B&M ratchet shifter. The rear brakes will be converted to discs, The wiring harness will be replaced with a more modern Painless 18 circut unit, The entire interior will be restored and Autometer gauges will replace the stock ones.
Exaust will be full length Hooker Ceramic coated headers backed by a Summit Stainless dual header back kit.
The headlights will be converted to Xenon cool blue lamps and the other exterior lights will be converted to LED. The final part of this transformation, will involve shaving the door handles and converting to old school suicide doors. A new stereo is going in once I have decided what will fit and sound good. I may put an XFI fuel injection self learning unit on the engine if it looks like it will be worth the money.

This project will hopefully be done in the next 12-18 months.
I will post updates as some of these things get completed.
Let me know what you think of my vision for this SS

BTW Merry Christmas to everyone.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Hello!

Hi Erik, my first "El Camino" was a '82 Caballero and I also felt the same about the bumpers so I bought the fiberglass front and rear bumpers which I do like the way they look, that car went to my son. When I got my second and current El Camino it had the steel chrome stick in your face bumpers, well it turns out I love the way they look, just like if the General wanted them to look like that and not mandated by the rules of the time. I like the way yours look and would elect to keep them just make sure they have nice chrome on them.
The first El Camino I paid attention to was a 4th gen like yours painted white owned by a brother in-law, I still like their look.
Start planning for the Hot Rod Power Tour in June, that will be a good opportunity to go for a nice ride with a few of your fellow regionaires, Tony.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just finished installing a PST PolyGraphite front end rebuild super kit, new close ratio steering box, KYB Gas Adjust shocks all 4 corners, new springs all 4 corners, PST Rear Control Arm Poly Bushings, PST Pro Touring 1 5/16" front sway bar, and a PST G-MAX 1" rear sway bar. $1200.00 later, and I now have a 37 year old vehicle that handles like it's on rails. My next issue is replacing the floor pans that have fist sized holes in them. It will get there, it's nothing but money and time.

·
Registered
158 Posts
yes a another 4th Gen Elky-looks like your on your way-always good to see another 4th gen back in action-

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a new motor ordered for my baby.

I have been killing myself trying to decide what motor I want. I have checked out a ton of sites from GM to Jasper.
I finally made a decision, a turnkey motor from Phoenix Engine Rebuilders.
Rather than list all of the specs here, I am including a link to the page my engine is featured on. They have lay away and don't charge a core deposit.
I feel this package is the best balance of power and reliable mileage. My 73 is a daily driver, so I didn't want anything radical. I love this build. I got an upgrade to 1st gen Vortec heads for better low end torque at no extra charge. They even have a sale and I got $100 off. I would like some feedback from you guys.
Merry Christmas:nanawrench:
http://www.phoenixengine.com/Chevy-01.html

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Welcome to the site !! Thank you for your service to our great country. The motor combo looks great.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How do I find out what the stock rear gears were for my 73?

Is there anywhere I can find exactly what gear ratio is in my Rear Diff without opening it?
I want to find out if it is a posi unit, and if not, what are my options to upgrade?
I want to put 3.08-3.48 gears in but I don't know what to order. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
1st question is easy, floor it!! if it leave two stripes it's a posi, There are codes on the rear end they will give you what type of unit you have and the ratio. Depending on what type of transmission you are going 350 , 400 2004r ect , will help you chose what rear end gears you will want to run. Do a search on the subjects and you shoud find a couple of post on it. Good luck and enjoy the adventure!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.