El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, its about time I quit lurking around the forums. I've got a '72 El Camino that my dad and I were supposed to restore and get back on the road, however the lack of time and my inexperience has had the car sitting for almost 8 years now. After this long, hopefully we can make room to start working on the car again this summer. Anyway, I'm posting this now because I have been looking for information regarding getting a TBI truck motor and transmission to work in the shell of this car. Hopefully you guys can help out with that!

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Read all you can, and then read through the LT/LS swap forum here, then decide what you really want to pursue. Then post up! I'm pretty sure someone here has been there done that and we will help all we can!

Joe

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you don't want to go with the original Gen1 SBC, I recommend you go with an LS engine. Much more efficient than the old TBI and the cost will be just about the same. You won't regret it. LS swap kits are a dime a dozen and easy to find.

I have all three. GEN1, LS, and TBI and can tell you a TBI is the last engine I would go with. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you don't want to go with the original Gen1 SBC, I recommend you go with an LS engine. Much more efficient than the old TBI and the cost will be just about the same. You won't regret it. LS swap kits are a dime a dozen and easy to find.

I have all three. GEN1, LS, and TBI and can tell you a TBI is the last engine I would go with. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
If I would have known about these things as much as I do now, I would change the project to a Vortec motor. Unfortunately for the "cool factor" of this project, we already sourced a 305 TBI engine with its original 4l60e, PCM, and even the harness (i'll go into more detail in my build thread). These are the parts we have acquired, and neither my dad nor I like spending too much more, you know? In the end, this car will be used just to cruise around on the streets.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Have fun with your build. Glad you're finally able to get to it. There is a tremendous amount of knowledge here and several of us stilling running TBI that works great. I've owned a couple Elco's from 4.3L to 305s and they both ran/run great. Lots of sensors and information still available. I did consider and look into an LS swap when I did my last rebuild but it was way more expensive than just keeping the original currently running. I will probably have to swap some day tho.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have fun with your build. Glad you're finally able to get to it. There is a tremendous amount of knowledge here and several of us stilling running TBI that works great. I've owned a couple Elco's from 4.3L to 305s and they both ran/run great. Lots of sensors and information still available. I did consider and look into an LS swap when I did my last rebuild but it was way more expensive than just keeping the original currently running. I will probably have to swap some day tho.
That sounds great! Yea, the hardest part of what i'll be doing is the electrical side of the retrofit, as well as getting the engine and the transmission to run, however i'm interested in the challenge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts