El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '87 4.3 fuel injected seems to be using water. It has been doing so for a while, and I have just added and ignored it. Yesterday, there was a smell of anti-freeze while driving. When I got home, the overflow tank was empty. The speedo shows about 80K and I believe it. It looks like nothing is hitting the ground, no teltale white smoke out the back, no water on the passenger floor, and the gauge shows normal. It has a new water pump, thermostat, and radiator. Is there any "common" problem with this engine I should be looking for, such as intake, or head gasket leak? I don't know where to go with this...

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Sounds like head gasket failure or a tiny crack. Pull the plugs and look for one to look different than the others. Do a compression test or, better yet, a leakdown test.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
My son has 2001 blazer with the 4.3. He had the same problem. Found that the intake was leaking at the rear near the distributor. It was actually steaming the distributor and finally caused a no-start situation. Not much coolant on the ground. Most of it coated the firewall or burnt off on the exhaust.
Get a pressure tester and pump it up to around 15 psi and look for leaks. You can probably rent one at the parts store.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts