El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
That will teach me. I abandoned TV 2 years OK. I simply cannot afford it any more.
So here I sit wondering why Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart and bleachers full of folks are running.
2007 race. Thanks JJLT1 for pointing others to today's race..

·
Premium Member
4,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I live 500 feet elevation up in a steep valley, with the valley opening to the Pacific Ocean. I'm not close enough to get Honolulu from that direction.
The other 3 directions, the steep valley blocks the signals.
For me: TV service is not worth the $ or the frustration. I really don't need to know what stupid things that politician said today.
Even a buck a day savings helps pay for mine and cat's medicines.
The only times I really feel a need for TV is for wild fire coverage when they are local. Web handles that now. Cell phone too probably.

OK. to be clear. I own a TV, just won't pay for cable/satellite etc service. No reception at all.
Here is more humor for you.
It weighs too much for me to move it.
For you younger folks, this is called a picture tube or cathode ray tube (CRT Monitor).
Note that it is not a wide screen.
That means that when I used to watch weather, I saw weather and not the weather models. What fun is that?

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
5yrs ago I couldn't even sell the 36" CRT we still had for $50. worked perfectly fine, no one wanted it. as cheap as LCD tvs are, I bought a 55" for $300 on Black Friday 2 yrs ago.

the only other way to get reception in your area OB would be to put a tower at the top of the valley facing east, and share the tower cost with your neighbors

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
never had cable or a dish.. don't need 5000 channels, I don't want..

Bear, I got a 32" just like that, except is says Sanyo on the front,
mines real heavy too..
its been ON for 20 years.... I wish it would go out,
since I'v had the 40" replacement on the other wall for a long time..

·
Registered
217 Posts
I think Canada eliminated broadcast to air TV some years back. I get most of my TV from the internet now. Facebook, YouTube and MotorTrend on demand

·
Registered
103 Posts
Raised 4 kids, youngest still at home, grandkids are often here and my mother-in-law lives with us. You better believe I'd rather be broke than deal with a 'no-tv' household. 👍

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
yes the antenna is still line-of-site,
and depending on the antenna size / quality / and how high-up it is,
makes a big difference, on the signal the farther you are from the station..

and a Antenna Booster don't hurt,, unless you are too close to the station/transmitter..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts