El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I thought I had read something about a national type of event for El Caminos and Caballeros. Does anyone know of anything in the works for "04. The wife any I usually hit the bigger events (Woodward Dream Cruise, Gratiot Cruise, Saint Ignace, etc) here in MIchigan but the showing by any organized El Camino group is non-existent. I would gladly travel several hundred miles to attend an all El Camino / Caballero show.

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Last September, the ACES regional meet in St. Louis, MO selected the El Camino/GMC as their "featured model" for that event. The Gateway Chevelle/El Camino Club invited the NECOA members to attend and suggested we could even consider this a national event. Thirteen El Caminos attended this event.

Also, it was discussed on ECC that perhaps an El Camino/GMC only event might be held at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY. That museum also allows other large clubs to hold events at the museum. In addition to many Corvette groups, they've had the Camaro/Firebird owners and even hosted an event for the Shelby owners.

Perhaps a better approach to getting something like this planned is to start with the NECOA/ECC regional groups and let them plan a "local" cruise in to see what kind of interest and planning is involved, then we could attempt West and East events? I don't believe we could get a true National event until we're double our present size. The NECOA Northeast regions (1 & 2), have already had one combined region meet. That was a fine start for those states and their members.

What are the thoughts of the rest of you members?

Planning for these events takes weeks for a small cruise in, and months for a good sized event. I also saw the Carolina owners talking up a fairly small cruise in and even that took a few weeks to organize. Contact your Regional Director and discuss sharing some duties of getting one organized in your region. Perhaps combine some regions like the Northeast did a good job of doing.

NECOA/ECC Regions: http://www.elcaminocentral.com/article-87--0-0.html

NECOA Regional Directors: http://www.elcaminocentral.com/article-86--0-0.html

Thanks for bringing this up.
-dan

·
Registered
114 Posts
National EC Event

The All-GM Nationals at Carlisle, PA is June 18-20, 2004. I have not been to one in several years but now that I have an EC I will try to attend this year. Is there a contingent of ECs at this show?

I know groups can be parked together at these type shows. I think Carlisle Productions will provide a shelter/registration tent. Even the Keystone chapter of the Edsel Owners Club gets a tent and they're lucky to get 10 cars.
A local car/hot rod club I belong to has a show coordinator for the GM and Ford shows and their job is to get as many members to show up as they can and park together. I believe there is prize money awarded for highest attendance.

Jim - 18 miles East of Carlisle

·
Registered
224 Posts
I know you guys with the late model elcaminos feel left out, but there are TONS of Chevelle & Elcamino specific shows that happen all over the country every summer... Some do cut it off at 1972- but i'd be with a little arm twisting, they would allow the rest of the year elcaminos to show up. Especially if the new National Elcamino group pushed the attendance level up a few notches.

Over here on the west coast there are SEVERAL major shows every summer

The Elcamino Classics Club's Elcamino & Chevelle show in snohomish WA- 150+/- cars now in its 11th year. This is held in may

The BC Chevelle/Elcamino Clubs show in Langly BC- usually 100+/- cars
this show is now in its 9th year. This show is held in June.

The ACES Northwest Nationals held in Graham washington put on by the Yesterday's Chevelle & Elcamino club is now in its 12th year- Last year they had 200+ vehicles total.

The Aces sponsored Oregon Chevelle/ElCamino Club show, last year topped 200 cars- and that was its 2nd YEAR!!! This show is held in July.

All of those shows are Chevelle & elcamino only shows (GMC is welcome of course) and have MAJOR elcamino attendance- i mean 50+ elkys of all model years.... And those are just in the northwest

Now I'm not saying that its not a good idea to have an all elcamino show- i think that would be great- but there are plenty of shows where elcaminos are very welcome and a key part....

At this still early stage of forming up the elcamino owners around the country, maybe it would be better to try and drum up and organize NECOA attendance at these existing regional chevelle/elcamino shows reather than try and have a national show when the majority of necoa members can't get anywhere close to its location.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
163 Posts
Try the 17th annual Mid Atlantic Chevelle Show and Swap Meet in June this coming year.Its held in Northeast Maryland,very close to I 95 and very easy to find.Look on the home page at shows and events for more info.All years of ECs are welcome and its a great show.There isn't many 4th or 5th Gen ECs, so come and show your ride.
also check www.chevelles.net/mcc/mcc.htm

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Appreciate the info. There is a local chapter of ACES in the metro Detroit area. Think I better give them a call.

Now, if we could only get a group of El Caminos / GMC's together for the Woodward cruise..............

1 - 6 of 6 Posts