El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm happy to say that the closest thing to emissions on my Elkie since the engine swap to the 406 is the PCV valve and after that the headers. I have vacuum for the brakes from the carb. Direct from the manifold is the distributer advance,hvac controls and vacuum ball for lack of it's proper name. The charcoal canister is gone. The vac line from the manifold goes through a check valve before it goes on to the distributer,hvac control and ball.
My questions are, should the distributer get vacuum before the check valve or does it matter and is the vacuum ball necessary since the charcoal canister is gone? From what I can see the only thing it's storing vacuum for are the hvac controls.
Thanks, Ang.

·
Premium Member
5,899 Posts
The vacuum ball is there to assist the hvac controls. It has nothing to do with the canister.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm glad I asked. I'll run the vac line from the distributor to the timed port on the carb.
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Then the only manifold you need is for the ac if it works so it can switch from vent to defrost ........and you could always hide that ugly vacuum ball somewhere to clean things up

·
Premium Member
5,899 Posts
If it was running good with the advance connected to the manifold you might want to watch that it might run a little hotter at idle and be a little less responsive at light throttle with the ported vacuum.
I DO NOT WANT TO START THE PORTED OR FULL DEBATE AGAIN! All I will say is that gasoline engines ran full manifold vacuum advance for 60 + years prior to emissions requirements.

·
Registered
23 Posts
PCV Valve

HI, Have a question?
I put an 86 305 in my Elky, don't need emisions here. Has a breather on one side and a PVC valve on the other. Some people say to put it in the front of the carb, others say in the air cleaner. Anyone know which way to go on this? Thanks

·
Registered
338 Posts
The big port on the front of the care
PCV Valve
Carb
HI, Have a question?
I put an 86 305 in my Elky, don't need emisions here. Has a breather on one side and a PVC valve on the other. Some people say to put it in the front of the carb, others say in the air cleaner. Anyone know which way to go on this? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
The big port on the front of the care
That's one place. It depends upon the carb/manifold. I have a q-jet with an outlet in the front and the back, plus there's an outlet in the manifold. This is what I run: The pwr brakes from the back of the carb, the PCV on the intake, and the front outlet (big one) blocked with a plug. PCV's can be connected anywhere with full time vacuum. That means manifold vacuum, either from the carb (below throttle plates) or from the intake manifold.

As far as vacuum advance from the carb, I run, both the '56 and the '87 for manifold vacuum. That's MY preference, as ported was only used to skru up engines when emissions came into being. Now, YOU wannta run ported, it's your vehicle, and do with it as you please. I'm nota gonna say ya gotta du it wun way or 'nutter!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:threadhijack:
PCV Valve

HI, Have a question?

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If it was running good with the advance connected to the manifold you might want to watch that it might run a little hotter at idle and be a little less responsive at light throttle with the ported vacuum.
I DO NOT WANT TO START THE PORTED OR FULL DEBATE AGAIN! All I will say is that gasoline engines ran full manifold vacuum advance for 60 + years prior to emissions requirements.
I've done my home work on the whole ported/unported advance subject and I'll say that I'm on the side of full vac. Old school. From what I've read the ported vac was only an attempt at pollution control, the number escapes me now and I'm sure it's different for every motor but at a low rpm when accelerating it doesn't matter anyway (in my case with 3.73's its first gear if I'm on it) I will try connecting it to ported vac for a few days to see what the difference is . But as I see it now knock on wood I've got no cooling issues with the motor, at 95 degrees in traffic the hottest I've seen it is 210 and I'm running an engine driven fan. Once I'm moving it's right back down to normal and for this motor thats in the 170 degree range on a hot suumer day (t stat is a 160) not bad for a +30 400. The little 406 runs pretty strong now and vacuum wise that's how it was set up when I got it, full manifold. There's a bit of a cam in it and its squeezing the Shell V Power to a 10:1 ratio. Very streetable and well mannered but a blast to drive.
If it ain't broke -------.
Thanks again for all the knowledgeable help, Ang.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts