1965 El Camino,78 Caballero sold
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Happy Birthday, here's some history.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Congrads to all who put this site together and continue to monitor and make it better. As a person who took 13 yrs to restore my El Camino I can tell anyone that w/o a doubt NECOA members have gotten involved it helping me complete a fine ride. The expertise and years of knowledge obtainable here is Huge. I cannot thank enough all those who helped me. I know I still owe a Beer or Hot Dogs to some. I'll get there just need a few all El Camino meets.
Thank You ALL!
Urleycay (Tony)
Clarkridge,AR

·
Premium Member
12,016 Posts
I joined in May of 2004. The people here have helped me learn to put doors, fenders, rear quarter panel, hood and grill on the 78. They have helped me learn engine repairs as well. They have helped me learn about redoing the interior, while I was working on headliner, doors, floor and carpet. Also helped us redo the visors. Also helped me work on the cruise control and the speedometer cable. They also helped me learn the electronics of the dash and the repair techniques to other things on my 78 El Camino. I appreciate everyone's time, ideas and help on these things. Thank you all and hope everyone is doing well.

·
National Director
1965 El Camino,78 Caballero sold
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How I got here. My wife and I attended a lot of Cruise Nights as spectators and I really wanted a car but finances were limited. One night we were riding around and found this El Camino or so I thought. Turns out it was a GMC version called a Caballero. It was from out of state and had a decent body to be in New England. After some decision time I bought it.

My wife, Cabagurl78 jumped right in and told me she found this incredible site that was full of information, she had joined and I had to join. This was 2010.

Move ahead a couple years and I became Deputy Regional Director then Regional Director. Many years later and I am here as the National Director.

I am very biased as I feel this is the best group of El Camino/Sprint/Caballero owners on the internet.

Many have followed, none can compare.

·
Deputy National Director
2,237 Posts
Wow, that makes me a newly. I joined in 2011. Do the math that is 11 years ago. I have owned an El Camino for over 38 years now. I can remember when an El Camino was seen as an odd ball and my 348 was called a boat anchor. I joined and instantly worked with Sharp71 to start a local group. I quickly took over the Region and then before being tapped, by Kenny Rogers, to take on the Deputy National Director position. I have enjoyed all the ups and downs of this organization and I hope to continue contribute for as long as I can be a force for good.

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,875 Posts
Been here since 2004. Can hardly believe it's been that long. I've been a member of other forums over the years, but either they're gone or I just lost interest. This one keeps me coming back.

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - 2013 Founders' Award Re
3,714 Posts
Running with this bunch sense June 2004, that is a lot of good times at some great shows.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I joined same year as Mr. Fin, 2011. This was several years after I had acquired an El Camino. My first was a basket case 67 that I purchased from a guy in Camarillo, Ca during my early Community College years (2005). I day dreamed about it for about a year, with little to no money to do anything. I ended up selling it to a guy in Missouri? I think it was Missouri, he had a garage fire and his fully restored 67 was inside. Drive train was still good, he just needed a solid body to work with. Off it went.
Next was a fully complete, driver '71 I picked up for $5500. Burgundy with a black vinyl top. Drove it for a year or more before I got cut off, and Dukes of Hazard flew into a dry reservoir with my high school senior project 350 engine rebuild between the frame rails. Car and engine went away, never to be seen again.
Following that unfortunate situation, I picked up two 70's locally from a guy selling as a package deal. Both needed MUCH work. Neither running, but one having a gutless 305 in it. The other lots of frame damage. Played around with them for a little while before selling both to a couple guys down in Long Beach.
I stuck with the 70 and picked up my current car in 07, from down in Torrance or someplace. That guy had a dream shop LOADED with cars. He must have had 15 different GM cars there. Picked it up for $2700 bucks and it was UGLY. Factory yellow was sanded down, bare metal areas were all rusted. Someone has begun to block the car to prep for paint but then stopped and left it outside. Factory brown interior, base model 6 cylinder/3 speed column shift combo. The only nice thing about the car was a stock replacement hood that was painted red with black stripes. Near perfect paint. Swapped a 350 into it, and a 4 speed Saginaw within the first week.
A couple years later, right after Basic Training in the Army, I was in AIT (Advanced Individual Training) and I had more free time on my hands. Being stuck in the barracks, I spent a lot of time searching Craigslist. Came upon a '60 I could afford ($1500) and sent my dad and best friend on a road trip from Lancaster, Ca, to Phoenix to pick it up. I've had those two for more than a decade now, and as some have seen I've been working on the 60 (and picked up a better donor body and frame).
I'm glad to be part of this community, full of like minded enthusiasts and knowledgeable individuals. I'm no ASE master mechanic, but I know enough to be dangerous, and I thoroughly enjoy working on these old cars and helping out those where I can.
Hopefully I can attend an all El Camino show sometime with my 70, and after too long, my 60 as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts