El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to start my motor.
The Vortec has no timing marks and no timing tab.
I'd like to get a basic idea how the unilite should be indexed.
The number 8 wire directly pointing toward the front,or the 1 and 8 staggered at a 45 degree angle.
Any pics appreciated.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Getting ready to start my motor.
The Vortec has no timing marks and no timing tab.
I'd like to get a basic idea how the unilite should be indexed.
The number 8 wire directly pointing toward the front,or the 1 and 8 staggered at a 45 degree angle.
Any pics appreciated.
It does not matter where your wires are pointing it only matters where the rotor is pointing in relation to the cap.

How do you expect to time it with no timing marks or tabs?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Pull out number one spark plug (driver's side front) and rotate the engine until air starts blowing out of the spark plug hole. You should do this by hand with a finger over the hole. Continue rotating it until no more air comes out. This is TDC or close to. At this point you would use your timing marks and tabs to put the motor directly on TDC #1.

Now drop in your dist. I usually place the rotor (pointer) in a direction that is pointing towards the driver's side front corner of the car. Then snug the dist hold down bolt/nut. Now installed your dist cap in a fashion that the rotor pointer is pointing directly at one of the dist cap posts (This is where #1 spark plug wire will go).

Now the engine is TDC #1 and your dist is set up with the rotor pointing directly at #1 post. Now rotate the dist counterclockwise about 1/4". You just set the timing at about 10-20 degrees before top dead center. Fire it up and set the timing.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm working by myself guys...live in the middle of nowhere and no helpers.
The dizzy only goes in 2 possible ways...I'll know right away if its installed correctly.
The #8 and #1 wire leads are pointing towards the front of the motor,rotation is clockwise.
No vacuum advance,advance is triggered by rpm.
Basic timing set correctly should enable car to crank quickly,start quickly,and run smoothly.
Once running,I can mark the dizzy,or install timing tape,and make adjustments as needed.
just looking for a basic starting point.
Thanks.
Much appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts