El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

My '72 is equipped with a bench seat. I've already taken it out once and noticed that it has no mechanism to make the back-part lean forward. My guess is that at one time the original seat was taken out and replaced with one out of a 4-door Malibu or something similar. Anyways, what I was looking for was another bench seat with the forward-reclining back part so I can have enough room to put a spare tire and jack in it. So, long story short, does anyone have an extra bench-seat laying around they'd be interested in selling???

Thanks for looking!!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Ha! Let me tell you my story...

The bench seat that I have for my '75 is one that I scored last year at pick-n-pull out of a 4-door Malibu. After getting it home is when I realized that it didn't have the latch mechanisms to make the seat backs fold forward. Like yours, my first thought was that I was out of luck and would have to search for another seat, but after looking it over I discovered that there were two metal arms/brackets attached to the sides of the seat that were holding the seat backs locked in with the bottom. So, after really thinking it through, I figured if I removed these brackets then the seat backs should be able to fold forward...and that is exactly what happened. I then discovered that all of the mounting points, slots and screw holes are there for installing the latch mechanisms! All it took now was another trip back to pick-n-pull where I found a '76 Cutlass with a 60/40 split bench...grabbed the full latch mechanism setups(don't forget the striker bolts and the latch-arm bezels) and bolted them right up to my seat easy as pie.

Now, I'm not sure if you can do the same with a 3rd gen 4-door seat, but you should definitely look into it before trying to hunt down a whole nother seat. First thing to look for is the brackets/arms on the sides of the seat...it should be bolted to where the striker bolt would normally mount and then also bolted to the seat back. Another thing to do is feel with your hand on the lower back of the seat backs around the area where the latch arm would normally be sticking out...you should feel a slot cut in there along with a small hole right above it and one right below it(this is where the bezel mounts to).

But anyway, sorry for the long post...I hope it helps though. And feel free to ask if you have any questions.
:nanawrench:

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's awesome! I think I'll try this first, seems like it'd be a cheaper route than buying an entire seat. I hope I can find something like that and get it working. You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of what is it I'm supposed to be looking for would you?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Hey Low75! Did your seat come out of a 4th Gen.?
When I first got mine it had a power 60/40 out of a Gen.5 in it. The kid took it out and put buckets out of an Omni, When I got it back and put it in storage the mice pee ruined the seats and I wound up with buckets out of an 80 EC. Recovered them black to match the color change from blue to black the kid started.
I'm concidering going back to a 60/40 bench. Since I already have the bucket mounts in for a Gen 5 Figure it should be a bolt in for me. Just have to recover what ever I get in black!

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have a 5th Gen full seat that is going to the salvage yard. I don't if anything would fit, but if it does you are welcome to it. I would need to know what you would need.
elamott

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
I don't guess these would work, huh?

Sorry, couldn't resist.:poke:
Good luck, and that Mod from Low75 sounds to be the thing to do.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Those seats are on the porch of the mental recovery facility where Larry resides.:secret:

Doug

·
Registered
717 Posts
mondo, here are some pictures I took today...

these are the brackets/arms that were preventing the seat backs from folding forward:

here you can see 2 of the 3 mounting points for the bracket on the driver side(the empty hole and the spot where the striker bolt is now mounted):

and here is a similar shot but with the bracket mocked up in it's place:

finally, here is a closer shot showing the latch mechanism mounted in the framing of the seat back, the latch arm protruding from the back, and the bezel around it:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts