El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a speedometer for my orginial 80 dash. Before I put this one in, I want to have a repair shop check it out and repair it if needed. Why go this way, because this will be my third one that I've replaced in this car and just want to make sure this one will work. QUESTION, no one locally around here, WHO would you send it to? Any help would be appreciated. Michael in Virginia [email protected] (434) 549-3936

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
33 views and no-one has had this issue. I checked in the forum last night before I posted this since I found no-one that has had to have a speedometer repaired. Where would you check?? anybody??:smileyb:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i have united speedo in riverside ca. do all of my repairs,and calibrations, real nice people to deal with .951-742-7117 2179 macbeth pl. riverside ca.92507-5816

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
http://www.nisonger.com/

I had them rebuild the instruments in my Healey. They look and operate like new when I got them back. They specialize in British instruments so I don't know if they can help you or not.

If you work on Smith's gauges, you probably have all the work you can handle.

Copper

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
I stuck a square piece from the tip of a small file in the speedo drive and used an electric drill to spin it. That verified mine worked before I installed it.

Be sure to use a size (nail) or whatever that will fit snugly in the drive.

You could also use a short speedo cable or a speedo cable repair end.
Jack

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
just because it moved with a screwdriver doesnt mean its in calibratin or will work as needed through its operating range and be accurate as well through out. the cost of haveing it rebuilt and callibrated is less than the cost of a speeding ticket ,in fines and added insurance untill it drops off your record. i prefer to give my money to my toys instead of the courts for speeding tickets

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
speedometer

I stuck a square piece from the tip of a small file in the speedo drive and used an electric drill to spin it. That verified mine worked before I installed it.

Be sure to use a size (nail) or whatever that will fit snugly in the drive.

You could also use a short speedo cable or a speedo cable repair end.
Jack
I've never heard of this way before and I'm sure I would somehow mess it up. Really rather spend the money to just go ahead and have this one checked out before I install it. I thought for sure I would have more leads by now but I guess all I need is one. Michael in Virginia

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,781 Posts
Give this place a call for info ?? :dontknow::dontknow:

SPEEDOMETER PLUS
12405 Venice Blvd. unit # 336
LOS ANGELES CA 90066
TEL: (310)838-7350 or toll free 1-877-900-9009
Full service speedometer shop / Custom made speedometer cable

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
there are not a lot of places that repair them anymore,most domestics went all electric speedos arund 90 so the number of mechanical speedo repairs has dwindled.here in idaho there isnt a speedo shop withn 100 miles and the only thing within driveing distance is aaa and they only test the car on a measured mile.no repairs just a test

·
Registered
281 Posts
Speedo ?

Needed to fix or repair mine. Short of a google search, all I could find was one of the El Camino suppliers offered a rebuilding service, but it was rather pricey. Thanks to another member, I received a replacement instead. :beer:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
speedometer

Give this place a call for info ?? :dontknow::dontknow:

SPEEDOMETER PLUS
12405 Venice Blvd. unit # 336
LOS ANGELES CA 90066
TEL: (310)838-7350 or toll free 1-877-900-9009

Full service speedometer shop / Custom made speedometer cable

Thanks Steve, that where I sent this one to