El Camino Central Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

· Registered
285 Posts
So part of the problem might be the that the idler arm and pitman might be different lengths since you stated that you changed the linkage back to stock. It sounds like the previous owner did not do a proper conversation and you have to start over. Is this going to be a daily driver, drag racer, corner carver, or???? Figuring that out will help with your decisions for new parts.

· Registered
8 Posts
I got a reman quick ratio steering box from a 78 Camaro in there now and it’s been nothing but problems. The lifetime warranty is annoying when it keeps breaking. I’d rather get one that simply doesn’t break at all. Any suggestions on a direct bolt in replacement that is more bullet proof?
I put a borgeson (sp?) box in mine and love it. Bolted right in my 87 Elco with no mods required.

· Registered
40 Posts
I got a reman quick ratio steering box from a 78 Camaro in there now and it’s been nothing but problems. The lifetime warranty is annoying when it keeps breaking. I’d rather get one that simply doesn’t break at all. Any suggestions on a direct bolt in replacement that is more bullet proof?
I bought a 3.5 turn reman Steering box from Rock Auto (the OEM replacement is 4.5 turns). The box fit right in, but I then discovered I had the "early" steering set up with a 13/16" center link and the Pittman arm and centerlink I bought didn't fit. After buying the correct diameter parts elsewhere, the box completely failed. I returned it for warranty and got a different style box - same part number. This one works much better and has given me no problems.
As for the set up, maybe the Camaro parts and the drop spindles are putting too much pressure on the splined shaft? With all those shims, are the control arms and bushings in good shape?
I would also agree that going back to OEM is the way to go.

· Registered
32 Posts
I will second the Jeep box conversion. The stock Chevy Pitman arm and nut fit the Jeep box. I used the rag joint for an 84 C10, the power steering hose for a 2005 Silverado and everything bolted together. I did an LS conversion so you may need to do different on your power steering hose. It drives really well.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts