El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will soon become the new owner of a lightly built ls1. We are getting it from some friends who have been building smallblocks for race boats and racecars for years. It's a very good deal, the heads have some port and polish work done to them, better pushrods, valve springs, and comp cams version of a z06 cam. It was a clean block to begin with that he built to be a sturdy engine that could take abuse. They got bored of it so it was replaced with another ls1 that's pushing 600hp in a 1800lb car. Anyways, enough of my blabbering, I have a few questions I would like some advice on before I start a build thread and spending a ton of money.

The engine is complete with all the wiring, but does not come with any accessories.

I plan on keeping A/C, what accessory drive system from what vehicle will fit the ls1 and fit in my cruck properly?

I would like to mate this engine to a built 2004r. I know I will need a different flexplate/adapter and accommodations for the TV cable. Is there anything else I will need to mate it to the 2004r?

I am very confused on the subject of the motor mounts. I guess what I want is for the ls1 to sit in the stock location as the 305, and drop it in without having to move the transmission from the stock mounting position. What mounts/mounting kit do I need to accomplish this?

Fuel delivery, could anyone who has done this swap shed some light on this?

That about covers my questions that I have for now, sure I will have more, Thanks!:beer:

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
You can use the accessories from a 2002 Camaro with a LS1 engine. You can buy the engine mounts Holley. And you can also get the oil pan from them also. There or several companies selling parts to swap LS1 engines into older cars.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I will look into the 2002 Camaro accessory drive, will it work with a/c? Still curious about other things, so if anyone else has some input, that would be very helpful.:beer:

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
The Camaro AC compresser will work, will need to have new AC lines made. I would not us the 200 4r. I would use the trans that come with the engine. That way the computer will work for the engine and the trans. The Camino needs a electric cooling fans so make sure the wiring harness will operate them.

·
Senior Member Participating Member
814 Posts
Elco94,I bought my Camero accessary drive from Street and Performace in 2005. Dont know if they still offer the deal I got. It was a take off. Everything still works. Got 12,000 miles on them. Be sure to get compessor manifold. You will need to notch passenger side crossmember for air con pump clearance. Check out John Bzdel's web site for great year long install with text and pictures.:yell:

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Camaro AC compresser will work, will need to have new AC lines made. I would not us the 200 4r. I would use the trans that come with the engine. That way the computer will work for the engine and the trans. The Camino needs a electric cooling fans so make sure the wiring harness will operate them.
Thanks for clearing up some of the A/C stuff, glad to know the compressor will work. The engine has a wiring harness and computer that has been totally modified to be stand alone, so the wiring for an auto is long gone, although I did some research and a found a bracket that will accept the TV cable from the 2004r.

·
Deputy Director Region 5
1,879 Posts
Hey Mike, Here's a book that you can get. I am using it to do the swap on my 85. It's really detailed and has helped out a lot. It was sugested by a nother member nad has been an big help in the planning.

It's from www.JYRpublishing.com Chevrolet TPI & TBI engine swapping, written by Mike Knell.

Good luck with your swap.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Mike, Here's a book that you can get. I am using it to do the swap on my 85. It's really detailed and has helped out a lot. It was sugested by a nother member nad has been an big help in the planning.

It's from www.JYRpublishing.com Chevrolet TPI & TBI engine swapping, written by Mike Knell.

Good luck with your swap.
Thank you very much, but it seems the link you gave isn't working. I will see if I can look it up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts