El Camino Central Forum banner

Need advice

1K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  84Pacecar 
#1 ·
I posted a parts wanted ad on the site, got one reply from a member (less than a year, never seen him post and he did a private message). XOXEWOK474, I want the part, however, don't want to be scammed or ripped off. Bottom line need advice on safe transacting from the site. Thanks, Matt

#2 ·
Well I got hit for over a hundred about a year ago---sending pay-pal to friends and family is really dicey ---that's how I got hit---you have no recourse from pay-pal ------post his name and handle and see if anyone else has dealt with him or knows of him !!---If it is indeed a scam then you won't hear from him again !!!---If he is honest he should not mind you checking into his dealings-----The rest of us looking for parts need to know WHO to stay away from and I think Leo is more than happy to ban scammers---I believe we want to keep our site scam free and safe !!
Don

#4 ·
I checked with 87next2last1, he doesn't know him. What bothers me is he uses taptalk which most scammers use. If he wants PayPal Friends and Family that is another red flag vs straight PayPal. On the other hand he has a lot of welcome messages to new people. Tread lightly.

#5 ·
To make a deal using paypal do NOT use family friends option
Use the services goods option & pay the 3% ( I think that's the fee ? )
It guarantees your money refunded if they don't ship
Also I heard people using post office money orders because they can file fraud charges thru the government post office ? To get your money back

#8 ·
I was about to purchase a radio from same guy. Didn't get a good feeling so I decided to pass.

He gave me an email address for paypal and asked to send friends and family. I said I'm not comfortable with that so he sent a completely different name for another PayPal that would accept under goods and services. His welcome post says Tampa, FL. His location is Jacksonville on profile. I asked where he lived to do a in person cash transaction , now he is in California.

Good luck if you do decide to move forward.

#12 ·
Yep, I'm the guy who was scammed for $300. I have an email address, which is good, a bank routing number, and an account number, but apparently, no one can do anything. The bank did tell me it was a legitimate account number, but would give me no more information. Over the years I have bought many things on line from individuals. This is the first time I was taken. I guess that's what made me so vulnerable. As they say though. "If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is"

Greg

#11 ·
Font Screenshot Number Rectangle Circle

Good, glad he’s gone. He responded a few days ago to a parts wanted post I’d made. When I asked for pics he didn’t respond. A google search of the phone number he gave came back shady, and he’d used a different number when responding to another member’s parts wanted post, and that number came back shady on google too. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

#14 ·
This is such a great community of members helping members. It sux when you get a clown to come in and attempt to compromise our trust.
I've sold parts to other members; parts I didn't need and helped another member with their project. I probably could have charged more, but if it helped another project I was all about that.
This thread is troubling. However, it is the world in which we live. Be careful of the snakes, fellas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.