El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I bought a dash cover from el camino central. When it arrived the holes for ac vents where to large by abought 1/2" you can see the old dash and cracks. They told me that was the way it was. And that they where the only ones that make dash covers This obivstly not going to work. Covers that i bought berfore went back over the vents just a little enough that when i put vents back in it covered. this one from el camino store does not cover dash 100% as they advertise old cracked dash shoud cover edges around vents not show the old cracked dash. This in my opinion is not 100% it is more like 80% it doses not even go around enough the glove box corectaly. I called around and found that i had been lied to. they are not the only ones that make 100% dash covers. other companies that make them make them so that plastic goes smooth behind vents and then vents just slide showing the overlay covering the dash 100% even on glove box it dose no tcover and you to paint the dash before instaling and still shows the cracks. she said could pull out dash and send it to them for it to be done correctly. At a cost of about $1499.oo plus shipping and waiting weeks and also hoping they knowing that they are doing. This is bull &%*%# after spending thousands of dollors with them and getting this unccseptable part i shoud not be lied to. The fact here is i know what i am doing and they just know part #s no costomer support at all. can anyone give me thier opinion it would greatly be apreceated. hopefully i can get this worked out and still make the power tour

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I would find out their number and have a nice TALK with them and make a complaint, if they have a company website you could write a bad review if they dont refund your money.

Brandon

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Make sure you let the seller know you are sharing the experience with 20,000 other cruck owners. That might help get their attention. Beware of any repro part anyone is selling. Very few repro parts match the quality and fit of OEM stuff.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I am a little confused who you bought it from. I wanted to look at the item but I don't think this web site El Camino Central sells them or have I missed something here???

·
Acting Director, Region 13
2,048 Posts
I am a little confused who you bought it from. I wanted to look at the item but I don't think this web site El Camino Central sells them or have I missed something here???
I think he meant TheElcamino Store.

Tim

·
Registered
432 Posts
Take a minute, read what you have written, use spell check. Make sure of your facts and we can help you better....

·
Registered
497 Posts
this kinda concerns me as i have recently bought a dash cap from elcaminostore.com. waiting on the delivery, and i'll be sure to check the fit.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I've never purchased anything from The ElCamino Store, but it seems I have read nothing but complaints about them.

Are they really that bad....:dontknow:

Arnie in Iowa

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've bought lots of things and never had a complaint. The caps I've installed were never 100 percent perfect. Only way for that is a totally new or refinished dash. A simple Google search will tell you they're not the only ones that make 100% caps. Maybe if we had a link or part number we could check it out for ya.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Now I don't want to get on a rant here guys however, we all need to keep in mind that an awful lot of things these distributors sell reproduction parts made in China. That's sadly the truth because there are few companies in the USA that can compete with the prices, and that's why NOS parts sell so high. That said, we're left to the mercy of " who " sells these parts and guarantees their fit. I'm not a big supporter of China parts however, sometimes that's all I've ever been able to find, so it come back again to the supplier to realize that the sell wasn't reasonable in terms of fit or finish. I've had both good and bad reproduction parts thru the years in restoring many vehicles. I've learned that prices often reflect quality, and a good solid supplier is invaluable.
So what is the solution?, send it back! Even if the supplier doesn't refund the money the message is clear, and it moves in many directions. Besides, what good is a part if it doesn't fit or work correctly?
I think I'd find a local cloth dash cap maker, and state my situation asking for a smaller fit around the vents to hide the cracks. Then I'd go to shows and ask the guys who've put a good quality hard dash cap on where they purchased their caps? Good luck.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Take a minute, read what you have written, use spell check. Make sure of your facts and we can help you better....
THANK YOU:banghead:

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Just a thought but I think for $1400 you could have "Just Dashes" restore yours using the same grain vinyl and the same OEM vacuum shrinking process in the correct color.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Bobby, I believe you are correct. FWIW, Eckler's, aka El Camino Store has gone down hill since Eckler bought out the enterprise. ECStore is just one of them in connection to Chevy collectables. This includes the tri-5 store, Monte Store, etc. There's a store for about everything Chevy. If you want to order a part that may be advertised, but also MAY be hard to find otherwise, CALL them on the phone and not order online. Reason? Ya talk to a REAL, live person when ordering, and he/she can tell you if the item is in stock or not. If it isn't, don't order and look elsewhere. If you let them put it on BO, it might be six months before you get the item. MOST of their parts are of about the same quality as any other place. They also sell Danchuk parts, which they say are US made. Their prices reflect it, too. BUT, the prices aren't as high as NOS, and may not be quite as precise. They have leased the ability to manufacture a lot of GM parts using GM specs. Hope this helps some

1 - 15 of 15 Posts