El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In late August, I pulled apart the dash on my 87 El Camino as part of rust repairs of the engine cowl. The repairs required removal of the windshield and detaching but not removing the dash. In my hastiness, I failed to document all the items removed or disconnected. As I am now reinstalling the dash and instrument pod, I found a 2-prong plug and do NOT recognize nor find any where that the plug connects to.

Does anyone reading this thread recognize the plug? The wires in this particular 87 El Camino harness are (1) light gray and (2) light gray with light brown. Originally, my 87 did not come with full gauges and I recently upgraded to full gauges. I also have another dash harness from an 84 El Camino in which the wires are (1) light green and (2) dark green with light green. The 84 did have full gauges.

As I mentioned, I failed to document where this 2-prong connects to and/or didn't notice it at all. Also, this plug could also be just an extra plug for something else and is not needed. I am seeking assistance now BEFORE I reinstall the instrument cluster and find that something does not function properly.

Thank you for your assistance.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ding...ding...ding! Winner!!!! I just spoke with a friend who told me the same thing. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Realizing this is a resolved issue. The odd angle on that plug should make it easier to identify the receptacle I would think. Does the speaker have the same configuration?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I was gonna say speaker plug too. looks like after market wires were run to you speaker.
1987 Chevrolet El Camino Car Stereo Wiring Diagram

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Orange
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow
Car Radio Ground Wire: Black
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Gray
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: Light Brown
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: Pink
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Size: 3 1/2″ Speakers
Car Audio Front Speakers Location: Dash
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Tan