El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find a replacement new motor for my Calif. smog equipped 305 1987 chevy.
DAILY DRIVER NO HOT ROD'S PLEASE.

Can someone show me a motor I can buy that will fit most of my original existing parts to do a motor swap. This will be my first time and I want to do it right. It has to be capable to except smog equipment and my intake manifold ,trans, quad jet carb. ECM computer or something close I can do myself with some help with questions .:dontknow::dontknow:
Any ideas? Jegs is doing free shipping and no core or tax.
Thankls
Robert

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
This forum can be a terrific repository of information. My only suggestion is to verify any choice you make with the supplier that the engine meets your needs.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
I guess you want to keep GM intake so it passes a visual smog inspection?
If that's the case why not see if your intake has all the same mounting points for whatever is externally mounted to it as an older GM 305 intake?
Like I said in the other thread, my GM 305 intake from 78 has an EGR. If you want I can take pics of the top side and you can see if it has all the mounting holes you need.
Also if this is the thread you want to go with, you should ask a mod to lock the old one. Otherwise it'll really get confusing and at some point a mod will need to step in and try and combine them. That sometimes makes things more confusing as questions and answers don't seem to be grouped together.
Anyway good luck on your project. Hope it all goes as smoothly as possible.

·
Registered
365 Posts
If you just want a drop in engine you just need to find a 1 pc rear main seal non vortec 350 and everything will bolt in no need for a new manifold, exhaust, etc, etc but its more expensive.

like this one http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-19210007/ but shop around for cheaper prices

·
2,566 Posts
If you just want a drop in engine you just need to find a 1 pc rear main seal non vortec 350 and everything will bolt in no need for a new manifold, exhaust, etc, etc but its more expensive.

like this one http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-19210007/ but shop around for cheaper prices

Vortec or Non-Vortec? I thought he needed Vortec? If he does need Vortec heads than your linked engine would be OK, I guess. It does say 1979 & earlier pre-emissions vehicles though. It also says it has Vortec heads...

"GM Performance brings us their entry level performance crate engine in the form of a 350 cubic inch HO with approximately 9.1:1 compression, 330 hp at 5,000 rpm and 380 ft./lbs. of torque at 3,800 rpm. These 4-bolt main engines have a recommended max rpm of 5,500. Dressed to impress with chrome valve covers and front timing cover these engines will look great between the fenders of your favorite street rod, muscle car or grass roots racer. These 350 HO are not intended for marine use and should only be used in 1979 and earlier pre-emissions street vehicles or any year off road vehicles. Parts used in these engine assemblies are 4-bolt main 1-piece rear main seal blocks, nodular cast iron crankshafts, powdered metal connecting rods, dished cast aluminum pistons. Installed camshafts are hydraulic flat tappet with .435 in. intake lift and .460 in exhaust lift with 212 degree open duration intake and 222 degree open duration exhaust lobes at .050 in. ground with a 112.5 lobe centerline. Standard Morse link timing chains are installed. Cylinder heads are Vortec cast iron style with 64cc chambers; 170cc intake runners with 1.94 in. intake valves and 1.50 in. exhaust valves. Stamped steel self-aligning rocker arms are used for reliability."

·
2,566 Posts
Another concern might be the 9:1:1 compression ratio. Will his computer controlled carb be able to keep up? Or does he need to find a California emissions carb to work with his computer and this engine?

·
2,566 Posts
So then what's the problem with the engines he was looking at? Other than the 2 piece rear seal? That's only a flexplate swap. I thought all the trouble was in getting his intake to fit the older non-vortec heads?

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
O.K. I CAN CALL jEGS TO FIND OUT BUT HERE'S A LITTLE MORE INFO

NUMBERS ON TRANS

INTAKE MANIFOLD NUMBER BY FIRE WALL 14101074
FRONT NUMBER ON INTAKE MANIFOLD UNDRE CARB. NO ORDER 18436572

EGR BEHIND THAT SOMTHING SCREWED INTO MANIFOLD WITH HOSE NEXT TO DIST. COIL

IF THERES ANY SECPTICS OUT THERE HERES A MOUNTAIN MAND REBULID.

14101074 BACK OF INTAKE MANIFOLD

EXHAUST MANIFOLD DRIVERS SIDE 14094045

·
Registered
365 Posts
I also believe that is the best choice, he will also need perimeter style valve covers and to grind a little on his manifold for the four center bolts, but he was looking for just a drop in swap. And others were confusing him with the idea of getting a vortec engine with a roller cam

·
2,566 Posts
OK but 61 Airstream just made a good point in his post on the other thread. See I told ya this would get confusing with two threads.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK but 61 Airstream just made a good point in his post on the other thread. See I told ya this would get confusing with two threads.
I PUT A NOTE THREAD CLOSED OVER THERE AND AIRSTREAM POSTED THE NUMBER To gm tech. I think that's my only option everybody here is saying something different it's great how everybody wants to help but someone has to have put a new motor in califnoria with smog or am I the only one left.:You_Rock: I POSTED SOME PICTURES ABOVE.

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
On the other thread, one member said he had an 85 intake manifold he wasn't using, and I thought he said a flexplate - but I'd order a new flexplate.

But with those 2 items, seems like the GM Goodwrench 350/260hp motor would accept all the smog and ECM stuff. Non-vortec heads on that motor, and 260hp sounds like plenty for your needs.

Good Luck, CA smog sounds like a nightmare...

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On the other thread, one member said he had an 85 intake manifold he wasn't using, and I thought he said a flexplate - but I'd order a new flexplate.

But with those 2 items, seems like the GM Goodwrench 350/260hp motor would accept all the smog and ECM stuff. Non-vortec heads on that motor, and 260hp sounds like plenty for your needs.

Good Luck, CA smog sounds like a nightmare...

Thats the first answer to the thread started. I was done motor on order then all hell broke loose and nothing fit:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:
So is that the correct motor with new intake and flex plate. This is going to bolt right up correct.

·
2,566 Posts
Robert
All I know is YOU will be the expert on this swap when all is said and done! :beer::nanawrench:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Robert
All I know is YOU will be the expert on this swap when all is said and done! :beer::nanawrench:
I have no problem with that . how about this. Is this motor going to bolt up to my trans with the new flex plate and bolt to my factory motor mounts new of course. I can take it from there I hope.

GM Performance #809-10067353

GM Goodwrench 350 Engine
Was: $1,499.99
Now: $1,449.99Ships Today
If you find a lower price on a item we will match it
The priced matched item includes "to your door" costs

How to Price Match

$
XXXX.XXSkip Price Match

Click for JEGS Online Price Match
More Sharing ServicesShare|Share on myspaceShare on googleShare on twitter

This universal 350 ci engine uses a brand new block and can be used as a replacement for most GM vehicles from 1973-85. It produces 260 HP and 350 ft/lbs of torque with a 4-bbl carb and headers. It can be used as a replacement or as a retrofit into almost any vehicle. This brand new 350 crate engine comes with a GM warranty and is covered for 3 years or 100,000 miles in applicable GM vehicles only. JEGS has the GM Goodwrench, Chevy 350 engine for sale at a great price!
350 Engine Specifications4-bolt main with 2-piece rear main seal
Cast iron crankshaft
LT1/LT4 powdered metal connecting rods
Cast pistons (dished)
Hydraulic flat tappet cam (.383''/.401'' and 112° lobe separation)
Cast iron cylinder heads with 76cc chambers
8.5:1 compression ratio
Block is compatible with left or right side oil dipstick (Requires Plug for Unused Side - Plugs are Included)
4-quart oil pan
Timing tabs for a 6-3/4'' or an 8'' balancer
Recommended spark plug: Accel #111-574 or any spark plug with 14mm .460'' reach, 5/8'' hex, tapered seat, projected tip
JEGS Easy Kits are

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
Since I can't warranty this.... this is the question to call JEGS Tech Line for, and while you are at it, look up General Motors Parts on Google and find the actual main GM site. I believe they too have a tech support line that could help confirm all of this for you.

I think some folks got side tracked thinking you wanted/needed Vortec heads. but I think the intake manifold from earlier year (where the center bolts aren't configured differently) Or worse case you modify those 4 bolt holes to accomodate the standard angle into the head. Seems like several members have done the modification (mentioned dremel tool and shim).

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,778 Posts
Robert, you need one for the 1986 & Up ! That one is for 1973-85.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Not the right oine

1 - 20 of 53 Posts