El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just acquired a '78 El Camino VIN #1W80LDL8D444222. Any site that I try to access the number wants the 17 digit numbers that are used now. Can anyone here locate it? I have the build sheet; however, where it was folded, the paper there is missing with some information. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
let me put in the correct VIN #

Sorry, it's late here and my eyes are obviously crossed. The correct VIN # for our 78 El Camino SS is 1W80L8D44222. Apologies for the confusion.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Chevy, El Camino, 2dr pickup/delivery, 350 4bbl, 1978, built in Doraville, GA. Last 5 are production number.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Rob he's missing one digit after the D for Doraville designator. Last 6 are for production number. His trim tag might have a designator for SS. My 79 doesn't have one and when I ordered the dealer's invoice it said mine was a SS Royal Knight and the trim code matched the dealers invoice. If he finds a build sheet that would help, but don't tear your car apart to find one unless your doing a complete restoration. Just my 2 cents.

Geno

·
Site Contributor, Suppporting Member, Deputy Direc
289 Posts
What they said. ^ For SS or Knight verification you have to refer to the build sheet or dealer invoice for the Z15 or Z16 RPO code. (you can order a copy of the dealer invoice from GM Heritage Center for $50 if your build sheet is unreadable.) To date I have witnessed only one example of a 5th gen trim tag having the Z15 code stamped on it - and it was on a 78. (would love to find more)

·
Registered
774 Posts
Don't usually do that for anyone since they can easily do it for themselves. Went to a G-body website and blended the two numbers he entered. Just tried to help. Won't make that mistake again, ever.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Rob he's missing one digit after the D for Doraville designator. Last 6 are for production number. His trim tag might have a designator for SS. My 79 doesn't have one and when I ordered the dealer's invoice it said mine was a SS Royal Knight and the trim code matched the dealers invoice. If he finds a build sheet that would help, but don't tear your car apart to find one unless your doing a complete restoration. Just my 2 cents.

Geno

Geno how did you order a dealer's invoice?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts