El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think were all gonna Die up here!
Now don't laugh, but it's going to hit 95 in Seattle!
I know you guys Live like this...So who better to ask!

My 84 does not have Air :dontknow:

So, by next summer I want to add this option...Would I be better off buying a complete system from someone like Vintage Air - Ouch on the $$$, or finding a Donor Car for parts and buying a new compressor?

What do I look for...Do's & Dont's..etc

I moved North from SoCal in 81, So I am way out of the loop on this kind of stuff...I don't have a basement full of R12 like most of you.

What say the Experts?

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Not a Texan but my 2 cents.

Buying all the stock stuff and then charging would be about the same price as a system.

Classic auto air and old air both make an add-on unit that goes under the dash for about $850.00

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
I'm not REALLY sure, but I don't think Vintage has original type (SureFit) AC's, but do have some that will work with some "adjustments" to the cruck. Classic and Ol' Air are also good products. They hired a bunch of the AC people from Vintage, so their products work well. Call all of them and find the best deal with the least amount of modifications required.:smileyb:

·
Past Director Region 13, Senior Member
2,740 Posts
Me Too

I'm working the same issue. I recently bought an 83 without air and am adding it. I bought a complete set up from a donor car and am just getting started. First problem I ran into is, I'm going to have to replace the Hooker headers with a stock exhaust manifold because the compressor bracket won't fit with the headers in the way. I expect more problems of this nature as I get further into it but, I can't drive without air in Texas in the summer.

Good luck

Les

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Les,
I rounded up a good set of Cast Iron exhaust manifods for my 350 transplant, ran 2 1/2" stainless dual from there...Just did not want the noise, under hood heat and gasket issues in the street for a daily driver...You could easly weld up a custom bracket since you already have the headers...

What did the Used parts cost Vs the New System...Did you buy a new compressor?

I am watching the cost on this one, because for a few days a year, it's really not worth big $$$ up here....Like to keep it under a Grand if I can...

·
Registered
4,142 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Although I am not an AC expert, I am a long time San Antonio resident and currently own a '72 SS without AC. The Vintage AC corporate HQ is about 20 miles from my house and many of my friends with tri-Five or early 60s Chevys run vintage AC & I have never heard a single complaint from any of them! I also have a 69 SS which is an original AC car but during the restoration, the original AC components were all replaced with vintage air (using original ducting & controls).

While doing some research for my '72 last year, I found out that the Vintage Air package is fairly reasonably priced (under $1200) but installation cost would bring the total price up to almost $2K.
The good news is the new units include digital controls that can be fitted in place of your old analog controls.

Although I am slightly predjudiced in favor of Vintage Air, I also have friends who are running other brands at a slightly less cost & are equally happy. Obviously, being right down the road from the factory makes it very easy to get replacement part or custom items.

My recommendation is check out all the aftermarket vendors. Like I said, I have never heard a bad word about Vintage AC and there must be several hundred cars here in SA running the old analog systems and the new digital stuff is definately a step up.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
I have Vintage in my '56 Belir. Works great, and still cools well after eight years. Mine uses servos rather than cables. Works better. A friend has Ol' Air in his '56, and it's just as cold as mine. I'm not promoting one over the other, but I do like Vintage.

·
Registered
108 Posts
95 degrees?

Our winters aren't much lower than that (exaggeration, but our summers are WAY worse) I think here we hit 20 days of triple digits, that's in a row. Good luck with your AC. I can't tell you which way to go. I am unfamiliar with all that. Go figure, huh. I live in Texas and know nothing about ACs.
The Elky Man
Copperas Cove, :texas:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
I am removing my a...c... any parts you need i got em cheap

Hit me up

Sent from my MB860 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
Will make e making room for a 468 big block soon.....

Sent from my MB860 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Past Director Region 13, Senior Member
2,740 Posts
Les,
I rounded up a good set of Cast Iron exhaust manifods for my 350 transplant, ran 2 1/2" stainless dual from there...Just did not want the noise, under hood heat and gasket issues in the street for a daily driver...You could easly weld up a custom bracket since you already have the headers...

What did the Used parts cost Vs the New System...Did you buy a new compressor?

I am watching the cost on this one, because for a few days a year, it's really not worth big $$$ up here....Like to keep it under a Grand if I can...

This is a West Coast car - I bought it from a dealer in Portland - and it has the funky air pump tubes welded into the headers. I have been thinking about a way to cut them off and seal the holes anyway. this not a daily driver but, with a 305, it's not going to be a performer either so, I'm not really concerned with the power difference with/without headers. Long term, I will probably be looking at installling an LT1 or LS1/2 to give it more pep. I'm into Corvettes and I love those LS motors.

I'm fortunate that the guy I bought the parts from was careful in disassembly and included all the major parts as well as wiring, tubing and vacuum lines and, the dash panel with the AC opening on the passenger side. I have about $600.00 in all the parts so far - except the compressor. I will probably buy new. In all, by the time it's all done, I will probably have right at $1000.00 in the conversion.

Vintage Air was my first though but, from looking at their web site, it dosn't appear that they offer a system for Elkys newer than 72.

Good luck. Keep us up on your progress.

Les

1 - 14 of 14 Posts