El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1981 El Camino
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help identifying this engine component. Its on my 81 El Camino, 229 V6 3.8L engine. It has one ground wire and a tan wire that is not connected. I haven't located anywhere it should be connected to. All the vacuum diagrams and engine electrical diagrams I've looked at haven't been helpful. Attached is a picture of it and a picture of the vacuum diagram on the fan shroud. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
can you take a picture from overhead for context? that looks like you're taking it facing straight back from underneath the upper radiator hose

·
Registered
1981 El Camino
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is a top pic. Wire that is not the ground is actually tan, at some time it was painted the same color as valve cover. That wire runs up near the distributor and dead ends there.

Attachments

·
Supporting Member
4,498 Posts
Sometimes first impressions work- my first thought is a pressure sensor from the back of the AC compressor. That is a WAG.

·
Registered
1981 El Camino
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On the vacuum diagram, it shows a line going to a EMR switch. I think it could be that, the vac hose looks to be connected correctly according to the diagram however of all the electrical diagrams I looked at none show a EMR switch. What is a EMR switch anyway? I haven't found any information on it.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
looking at the hose going in the front, with what looks like an air inlet just above the hose, and the electrical conenction in the back, I think Darbysan id'd it.
Darby, would that have a flat diaphragm inside sensitive to pressure with a pressure switch?

·
Supporting Member
4,498 Posts
Not sure. The Vac line throws me off a bit. An EMR Switch may be an "Electro-Mechanical Relay", so that could be what is referenced. Essentially a relay that is triggered via a VAC signal, instead of the usual mechanical signal. If you have the wiring diagram showing it, can you trace the wires back to see where they lead to? May be used to control some electrical device when there is low vacuum, like turning off an electric cooling fan, AC, etc when under full throttle acceleration. Not familiar with the 3.8, or 81's, so running out of knowledge....

·
Registered
1981 El Camino
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, you have quite a lot of knowledge, greatly appreciated. Found many wiring diagrams for 81 with a 229 3.8 engine but nothing showing a EMR. I'll check similar models and years maybe those will have something. What you said about it makes since. Ill keep you posted

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
do this; trace the various connections to other components and see if they have a part# on them. from there we should be able to figure out what the part is

1 - 9 of 9 Posts