El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
68 El Camino, 396, AC, gauges, TH400, center console with horseshoe shifter.

I disassembled the dash almost eight years ago and am ready to put everything back together. I have all of the wiring figured out except three connectors on the kickdown harness. I know where the connector on the engine side of the firewall goes at the transmission and the two connectors that go to the switch on the gas pedal. But, I don't know where the three connectors shown on this pix go. (One is missing a terminal.) I'm assuming that one should be power.

The wiring on the truck was a bit messed up when I got it so it's possible they were not connected. Or, I just forgot to take a pix before I removed it. I've looked in '68 wiring diagrams and the AIM but haven't come across the answer. Appreciate any help.

Greg

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For those who may have a similar question in the future and do a search on TH400 kickdown harness wiring, here is what I think is the answer to the question that I posed.

I've taken new pix of the kickdown harness and the extension that was plugged into it. The kickdown harness has a pair of connectors that plug onto the kickdown switch at the gas pedal. The power to this circuit is from the IGN terminal on the fuse block (see pages M40-A8 and -A9 in the AIM). The connector for this is at the arrow on the right above.

The extension cable was put in by the previous owner, probably to provide power to something added or changed. I don't need this cable and will not use it. This cable is missing a blue protective cover that should be on the female crimp connector. With the cover, this connector could have been plugged on to the BAT terminal of the fuse block -- but if so, there would have been no need to plug the kickdown harness connector onto the IGN terminal. Hard to say what was going on.

Greg

1 - 2 of 2 Posts