El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
That part is just the tip of the iceberg as far as the A.I.R. system is concerned. Air pump underneath the diverter valve, more hoses than the a/c system and hard lines to each cylinder of the exhaust manifold.

Then you have to plug the holes in the exhaust manifold... it is all very doable. I think you are emissions exempt in FL? If so, then removing all this shouldn't be a problem. And it certainly cleans up the engine bay.... you can actually see the fuel pump from the top side :poke:

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
on my 82, the replacement fittings into the exhaust manifold were 1/4" pipe thread plugs, maleable iron. (black/dark grey in color)

The galvanized ones appear cleaner, but using galvanized in a cast iron header didn't seem like a good idea due to heat handling characteristics.

The 1/4" pipe thread plugs should be available at a plumbing supply, don't count on Home Depot to have them

The other direction, which I was told works too, is to cut off the metal tubing into the original fitting leaving enough tubing sticking out and then pinching it off real tight.... I didn't want sharp ends sticking out on each side of block.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts