El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a beautifully restored 1966 El Camino. Just about everything works except for the speedometer. I searched the threads, but can't find any pictures or diagrams of where the cable runs for this generation, but future gens sound like they run from the back of the trans to the speedo. I don't have cruise control so assume it's a one piece cable. That said, anyone have any tips, pictures or suggestions for getting the speedo working again?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should have mentioned that my '66 has an 350 engine and automatic trans, obviously not original (wasn't an option in '66).

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
The speedometer cable on all cars EXCEPT 4-spd cars
routes from the rear of the trans on the driver side to a
hole in the floorboard just below the brake pedal.

It is a fairly large hole and uses a large grommet.

From there it runs up the firewall and then goes in the
center of the brake pedal support out the top thru
an oval hole and then connects to the speedo.

Should be able to get this in without removing the dash.

If the speedo has to come out for any reason---the dash must be removed.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Here is a pic
That hole in the pedal support is hard to see---but it is there
The cable must route between the firewall and the pedal hinge point

Reactions: TexasElCamino

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

Appreciate the response and picture - very helpful. Been a long time since I had a car out of warranty, but got some grease under my nails last weekend and I think I found the cable running into the trans. Lost some fluid, but not sure what I'm looking for on either end to figure out why its not moving the needle.

As soon as I hunt down a repair book for this '66, I'll take a stab at replacing the gear and speedo cable to see if I can get it working.

Any other pics of the transmission end of the speedo cable and what it is supposed to look like (pulled out of the trans), would be great.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
The inner cable ends are squared and protrude out about an inch from the collar. The inner cable usually breaks inside the outer casing. Original Parts Group in Seal Beach sells the complete cable assembly. Part #CH20391 is a 68" long cable for your application that sells for $38.98. Auto parts stores usually carry a generic cut to length inner cable for considerably less. If the outer casing is pinched or kinked it will cause the inner cable to bind and break. Original Parts Group (www.opgi.com) also has a '66 factory assembly manual, part #AA0F142 for $21.99. I also live in Santa Ana and you're welcome to take a look at my '67 cable routing, which is identical to yours.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts