El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Venerated Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks...I need some guidance here. Me and electricity, well...we are not the best of friends (Think back to Tool Time episode where Tim tries to "hot rod" his dishwasher...):smileyb:

I have these twin Derale fans...each has it's own relay and the wiring diagram for them is straightforward. Trying to incorporate the P/N 16759 Derale controller..and that is where the whole thing has me cussin and taking longer beer breaks. :beer:

Just need some basic theory answers I hope. The harness from the controller has only 4 wires to connect. Green (going to my manual overide switch), Black (going to Ground), Yellow (To switched 12 V) and Red (which the diagram says goes to Negative lead from Fan)

The Fans each have their own relay...but these are 5 wire. Diagram for connecting these show: Green (manual/AC switch), Black (goes to Ground), Yellow (goes to switched 12 V), Orange (which goes to Positive lead from Fan), and Red (which is battery - constant 12 V)...leaving the Negative lead from fan to Ground.

Seems to me if I wire the controller using it's diagram, I will have the fan running backwards...but perhaps I am just cornfused:dontknow:

Anywhoo...if one of you who is not as Electrically Challenged as myself can suggest the best way to wire all this up, I would forever bge in your debt. I need to get Da Queen over to Tranny Mike for a rebuild before the Pismo Trip and time is running rapidly thru the houorglass.

Thanks in advance,:You_Rock:

Chris

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
I dont see how wiring it like that would make it run backwards.
Bench test it to prove or disprove your theory.

·
Venerated Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Derale Relays

Yep...Derale supplied 2 relays with the fans...and the probe controller unit has it's own. The part that seems strange to me is the wiring diagram for the fan relays shows Orange wire from relay to Blue witre on fan...whereas the diagram for the Controller shows Red from controller relay to Black from fan.

I got ahold of the "tech" guy at Derale yesterday who told me to tie the 2 Black fan relay wires together and they join to Controller red...and that the 2 Blue fan wires go to 12V battery....:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Yep...Derale supplied 2 relays with the fans...and the probe controller unit has it's own. The part that seems strange to me is the wiring diagram for the fan relays shows Orange wire from relay to Blue witre on fan...whereas the diagram for the Controller shows Red from controller relay to Black from fan.

I got ahold of the "tech" guy at Derale yesterday who told me to tie the 2 Black fan relay wires together and they join to Controller red...and that the 2 Blue fan wires go to 12V battery....:dontknow:

based on the diagram posted above that is correct, the relays do not provide the power to the fan, they provide the ground

1 - 5 of 5 Posts