El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, winters coming up and I'm trying to resolve this issue before it gets too cold. My AC and heater blow air, but only through the floor vents, and the heat or AC are not really hot or cold. I'm trying to figure out how to make the air blow though the dash vents. I took a look at the vacuum hoses that attach from the engine to the little ball thing on the passenger side, and there don't seem to be any leaks. There is, however air escaping from where the two metal lines connect in the first photo. There appears to be a sealant that was applied previously, but it's coming apart. If anybody has an idea how to work on AC/ heating, I'd love some advice.

[img=http://s22.postimg.org/6sdy5xhj1/image.jpg]

[img=http://s22.postimg.org/6r40cifp9/image.jpg]

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Heater & A/C

Behind The Glove Box The Heater Box Has A Door That Moves Back And Forth To Make The Air Switch To Floor Or Vent And Defrost. There Is A Lever On The Door With A Cable That Runs To The Control That Lever Is Broken Or The Cable Came Off, That Lever Is Known To Break Its Made Of Cheep Plastic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled out the glove box and took a look at the lever and cable. Both work fine and the lever moves when I adjust the control from cold to hot. Heater doesn't work though and the vents still don't blow air. :/

·
Registered
11,690 Posts
welcome Javier
check that your getting vacuum to the ball,dash valve, see if the ball is hooked up right some have a check valve..
those lines get brittle and break, replace it with vac hose.
youll see the vac actuators for the doors when you get under the dash, just have to leak check and trace them out..
yea the cable is for the blend door, hot/cold..:usa:

·
Supporting Member
4,373 Posts
Just a guess here, but if a PO applied full vacuum to the heater control valve under the hood, then no hot water will pass to the heater core. That vacuum connection should not come from the manifold or the vac ball. It comes from a Grey vac line from under the heater box, through the firewall, from the control unit inside.

If there is a problem with the vacuum going to the heater control valves, then the door that opens the center vents will remain closed. As a test, drop your glove box and look for a door with vacuum control just behind the glove box. Should have an orange vacuum tube going to it. Start the Elky, and put the AC controls in MAX, temp cold, fan on any speed. That door should open ( it is the recirc door). If it opens, then you have vacuum going to the control unit. This should also be sending vacuum to the heater control valve. When there is vacuum present, it shuts off the flow of water.

If you have vacuum present at the recirc door, then it is likely the vent door is just stuck. It is a common issue in these old cars- the seal melts itself and sticks the door. Do a search here, as there are threads on how to fix that issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts