El Camino Central Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
@cyberray Wow, that's a really clean install. I've seen a few come up for sale throughout the years...some appeared down right scary! One I saw had a Rochester carb with a marine type spark arrestor/filter...poking out the wonky hole they hacked in the hood!

I'm sure your's was/is a lot of fun. Someone out there prolly has a LS3 427 in one.
car in pic was not mine

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Staying safe at home. Thanks for the concern and the suggestions.
Since I seem to have a lot of time on my hands all of a sudden I figured I'd get my El Camino toolbox set up correctly.
This will be a tool box that I keep in the vehicle permanently. As far as weight goes, according to my trusty digital scale the total weight with all the tools listed below is 32 lbs. This will be wedged behind the driver's seat and if I'm in a situation where it somehow comes loose then I'll probably have more to worry about than the tool box becoming a flying object.
(Tophog - the 'smugglers box' in the '78-'87 models is just a wide opening behind the seats to a space under the front of the box and that's where the spare tire and jack are kept - plus a small speaker box for my CD player in the dash)
I have a little more room for a few small items in the tool box if anybody can think of anything I might have missed.

Here's what I've put in there so far... (forgive the lack of trade-mark symbols for brand names)
16oz. metal claw hammer
16oz. rubber mallet
Large Channel-lock pliers
Medium Channel-lock pliers
Large Vise-grips
5/8" cold chisel
Standard pliers
Lineman's pliers
Side cutters
Wire strippers
Electrical tape
12" Crescent wrench
6" Crescent wrench
Easy-out kit
Ball joint separator (pickle fork)
1 set standard combination wrenches 5/16" - 3/4"
3/8" swivel ratchet w/removable head
1 rail of 3/8" drive standard sockets - 3"4" regular & deep well
1 rail of 3/8" drive metric sockets 10 mm - 19 mm regular & deep well
3/8" drive swivel
3/8" drive extension set (1.5", 3", 6")
1 screwdriver/nutdriver set with standard and swivel handle (grey plastic case)
1 standard Allen head key set
1 metric Allen head key set
1 Torx head key set
Standard screwdriver set #1,2,3 short and long
Phillips screwdriver set #1,2,3 short and long
2 offset screwdrivers Standard, Phillips, #1, #2
Set of punches - 4 sizes
2 different utility knives
Putty knife/gasket scraper
3oz. tube Blue RTV silicone
1oz. tube loc-tite thread locker
Tire repair kit (reaming tool, plug insertion tool, plugs, rubber cement)
1 small hose clamp (up to 1")
1 medium hose clamp (1" to 2")
3 bundles of zip-ties (small, medium, large)

Here's a photo:

View attachment 128537

Thanks for the suggestions so far...
Well, the tool box went into the El Camino this weekend. Thanks to everybody for all the suggestions. In addition to the list of tools previously mentioned, I added the following:

Some more small hose clamps
A 1-1/2" rubber coupling and some spare 1-1/2 - 2" hose clamps I found in the basement
An 8" flexible 3/8" drive extension

Total weight: 33-1/2 lbs.

And a can in the glove box containing:
Spare bulbs
Fuses and a fuse puller/tester
3 spare lug-nuts (already had to use one due to accidental cross-threading)
Small piece of wire to jumper terminals of OBD-1 port under dash to get 'check engine' light codes

Hopefully I'll get a chance soon to take it out for the first time this year. Supposed to get 10 inches of snow tomorrow so it's still going to be a while...

Thanks again everybody for the suggestions & conversations.

·
Registered
330 Posts
@1W80M9R433989 Looks like you’ll be prepared for just about anything. Although my tool kit is minimal, I am a prepper. You should see my “hurricane kit”.

10” of snow??? Damn. We’re getting rain today on SoFL. It was in the 90s this week. Check out this pic of my Camaro’s stereo taken yesterday. Take care and stay WARM....
970414FF-4FB9-41E2-8144-991A67FC9B9B.jpeg

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
@1W80M9R433989 Looks like you’ll be prepared for just about anything. Although my tool kit is minimal, I am a prepper. You should see my “hurricane kit”.

10” of snow??? Damn. We’re getting rain today on SoFL. It was in the 90s this week. Check out this pic of my Camaro’s stereo taken yesterday. Take care and stay WARM.... View attachment 128802
Ozzy! Great soundtrack for a drive in a Camaro!
It was in the upper 50s today but tomorrow evening it's supposed to get pretty crappy here. The Weather Channel's calling for 6-14" between tomorrow night and Monday morning. (probably closer to 14" for me since I live in "Far Northeast Wisconsin" - see below)

I'm sure the county will put down an overabundance of salt in response to the storm. But hopefully all the snow will be melted by next weekend. And I hope this one is the last snow for the season. Then I'll give it a few weeks and hope it rains a few times before the end of the month.
I want to make sure all the salt has been washed away before I take out the El Camino or the wife's MGB.
Enjoy the warm weather down there in Florida. (as much as you can while staying at home, anyway)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Ozzy! Great soundtrack for a drive in a Camaro!
It was in the upper 50s today but tomorrow evening it's supposed to get pretty crappy here. The Weather Channel's calling for 6-14" between tomorrow night and Monday morning. (probably closer to 14" for me since I live in "Far Northeast Wisconsin" - see below)
View attachment 128803

I'm sure the county will put down an overabundance of salt in response to the storm. But hopefully all the snow will be melted by next weekend. And I hope this one is the last snow for the season. Then I'll give it a few weeks and hope it rains a few times before the end of the month.
I want to make sure all the salt has been washed away before I take out the El Camino or the wife's MGB.
Enjoy the warm weather down there in Florida. (as much as you can while staying at home, anyway)
I guess it could be worse...
I'll take the 14" of snow over this:

Hail the size of tennis balls does not sound fun at all.

·
Registered
330 Posts
@1W80M9R433989 I saw that this AM on the news. I hope y’all survive with minimal damage or power loss. That’s the last thing folks need now...dangerous weather.

The local media here, in addition to the doom and gloom, sadly, of C19...now are adding stress to Floridians by “reminding” us hurricane season starts June 1.

Stay safe

·
Registered
183 Posts
I used to carry the entirety of my toolbox possession in my car. Now some 30+ years later, I, A) Have too many, B) Have a large tool chest to store them in, and C) Have more dependable transportation. As a semi-truck driver with a local company, I carry a small bag in the truck for minor nuisances that would save a call out to our company mechanic. This includes a mini and a #2 each of straight, phillips screwdrivers, and a five way screwdriver; a 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, and 11/16 combination wrenches; an 8 inch crescent type wrench; medium sized slip-joint and channel lock type pliers; wire stripper/crimper, and side cutting pliers. I also have a few other items like extra gladhand rubber inserts for the air lines, electrical tape, a roll of tie wire, zip ties, etc, etc.
Now as for the car, I have a 100ish something piece tool set that I purchased at Sears about 15 years ago to keep in my wife's trunk just in case we are on a road trip to visit family or out sight seeing somewhere, but I don't think that I have even opened it more than about four times. My car does not have tools unless they are left over from working on a weekend project. In the time I spent reading this thread starting at #1 through to #47 I have found many good suggestions, that I shall incorporate. THANK YOU to all that have contributed to this thread.

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,536 Posts
Lots of good ideas here ! Not sure if you would consider it a tool but a battery jumper kit is what I have used a number of times lately on my other vehicles that sit around a lot but especially other drivers that I have run across with a dead or too weak of a battery to start their vehicle . I have a smaller Battery Tender brand that is good for regular cars and recently purchased a Noco Genius Boost Compact Lithium Jump Starter ( GB70 ) , that will jump start even the larger trucks etc. Sold by Northern Tools for $ 199 it has 2000 amps of power along with several safety features in case you hook up the wires incorrectly . I always carry it on the road with me as well as the powerboat .

·
Registered
183 Posts
There's one I haven't heard in a while.
Keep your stick on the ice.
We used to get the Red Green show on our local PBS station here in Seattle. Have not seen that for quite a while now.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
There's one I haven't heard in a while.
Keep your stick on the ice.
We used to get the Red Green show on our local PBS station here in Seattle. Have not seen that for quite a while now.
remember! If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

·
Registered
183 Posts
@DaveInWinnipeg Hmmm.... I don’t believe I’ve heard that phrase before....remember, the only ice I see in FL is in my drink! I guessing hockey 🏒 related. Stay safe!
The "Red Green" show is a comedy sketch show out of Canada. We used to get it on our local PBS station here in Seattle. It's about a group of DIYers. Try googling it, it's spot-on funny.
remember! If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy
Oh yeah, you know it!!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Of all the bits on that show, my favorite was the Possum Lodge Word Game.

My favorite character was Winston Rothschild, President of Rothschild's Septic Sucking Service.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Every show ended with the Man's Prayer.

Gentlemen, please now your heads and say in unison.

I'm a man, but I can change... If I have to....I guess.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Of all the bits on that show, my favorite was the Possum Lodge Word Game.

My favorite character was Winston Rothschild, President of Rothschild's Septic Sucking Service.
I enjoyed all of the different contraptions that Red would build.
Half an hour show was not long enough.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts