El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:smileyb: Hello all, im assembling my motor and am stuck at the heads. I have my 75 350, ported 92 fbody 305 heads, performer intake, LT headers, edelbrock performer-plus camshaft and lifters, new headers back 2.5 exhaust, a few other things. Just a street motor. Not for 5k+ RPMS. I didn't keep the pushrods or rockers from the 305 heads due to wanting either 1.5 or 1.6 roller tip or full rollers, but i should have at least kept the rods cause now, i am trying to figure out what size rods to order. My question is, what was the stock rod length for the center bolt 305's? :dontknow: i do have the 350 pushrods but are they the same length as 305 rods?

Any info is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So does it matter that the heads came off a roller cam block and im putting them on a flat tap cam block? is there a difference between roller cam rods and flat tap rods? THANKS GUYS THUS FAR :nanawrench:

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
No. The camshaft and valve train have no bearing on your con rods. Buy the bes rods you can afford. A bad rod can ruin your day

·
Registered
134 Posts
Don't mean to thread jack but are 350 and 305 heads interchangable? I was always told they weren't.

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
if were talking about pushrods??
the push rod length for a flat tappit 350 is 7.8" to 8.0"
for a 92 305 roller cam the length is 7.2,, acording to rockauto lookup..

your gona need the longer push rods for a flat tappit cam,,
get some adjustable checking pushrods for testing and measure them is the best way,,
or a good machine shop could do that for you..
and ?? you may need?? self aligning rockers for the 305 heads???:dontknow:

are 350 and 305 heads interchangable?
sometimes,, it depends on what your doing and how you do it..:texas:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if were talking about pushrods??
the push rod length for a flat tappit 350 is 7.8" to 8.0"
for a 92 305 roller cam the length is 7.2,, acording to rockauto lookup..

your gona need the longer push rods for a flat tappit cam,,
get some adjustable checking pushrods for testing and measure them is the best way,,
or a good machine shop could do that for you..
and ?? you may need?? self aligning rockers for the 305 heads???:dontknow:

sometimes,, it depends on what your doing and how you do it..:texas:
Yep, i read about that. Said either self aligning rockers or guide plates with non-self aligning for the post-87 center bolt heads. ok, so far i understand that, i can use 350 flat tap rods (the cam is flat tap) with the roller tips on the 305 heads provided i use guide plates. Does that sound right?? I think i understand

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And i appreciate all the help thus far. This is my first motor build and im beyond excited and trying to make sure i dont get knee deep in the stinky stuff lol :You_Rock:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It sounds like you are on the right track, gonna be so cool when you get to fire it up :beer:
Appreciate it elky brother :beer: i cant wait. The thought of all that torque is dreamy :inlove:

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
is that puddle on the ground from you, or your elkie?

:dontknow: :???:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another question. I had got 0.51 head gaskets to drop the CR so its more tolerable to pump gas but i just read that 0.51 gaskets would be too much and may cause problems. Is this true before i use them? Block and heads are undecked.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i just got .021 gaskets anyway. and i got 1.5 full roller rockers (not tips). forgot to order my guide plates so thats next. do you think the 1.5's will fit under stock valve covers? center bolt covers

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ment .028 head gaskets. Online engine compression ratio calculator says my engine will have 10.1:1. Thats honestly about where i wanted it. Im okay with running premium gas, long as i dont have the dreaded {{GULP}} ping:twisted:. But have any of you guys had experience with roller rockers? Those valve covers are unreasonably overpriced for what they are. i may just scavenge the junkyard for a taller set of center bolts.

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
stock centerbolt covers wont clear full roller rockers so get your wallet out .... again:beer:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just found out that i just cant "get" guide plates. They have to machined and it usually costs $250 PER HEAD!!! ***???? I understand its not a simple job but these are just cheap ol junkyard heads. do i have another option??? Screw in studs and guide plates are pretty much out. Any rods i can get to compensate??? Please help guys. This is the knee deep stuff i try to keep from stepping in :let_it_all_out:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
my order for the roller rockers hasn't shipped yet so i have attempted to cancel my order and get a refund. did FULL research and have found the self aligning roller rockers i need for a few bucks more. either get my refund and spend a few more bucks to get the proper rockers or spend $500 on head work alone, then get guide plates...thats a tough one :dontknow: lol id hope a fellow elky would travel the distance to slap me if i were serious :smileyb:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts