El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any sugestions? I want to keep the stock wheels. I have checked with the local Discount tire shop but I know there must be a more cost effective way. Should I go for the stock 215/75/15 X 4 or get a little bigger in the back? I have tested the shocks by hand and she bounces allot on all 4 sides but is it normal for the rear with the air shocks it has?
Rhino.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
If you have a way of mounting the tires yourself, you should check out www.tirerack.com for tires. Thier prices are pretty low compared to the chain stores.
How much does it bounce on the shock test? If it bounces more than 3 times after you quit bouncing on it, then the shocks most likly need replacing. If you replace the air shocks, go with some good quality shocks. I just took off the air shocks from my '78. They were the cheapie autozone ones, and with 120psi the car road with no lift in the rear and hard as a rock. I'm going with KYB shocks all around on mine, but it's hauling days are over 8)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
shock bounce

They don't bounce more than 3 times but it shure seems they need replacing on the open road and after speed bumps and dips. Mabe I am just not used to this large of a car. I made a few calls around town and the best deal I found was $450.00 for a dual exhaust w/ flowmasters, 4 BF good. T/A radials and new shocks in the front. The next bid closest was $550.00 for the job. Sound like a good deal? Thanks for the feed back. You guys are great.

Rhino.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Your 77 is a big car.. much bigger than the 5th gens- So you should probably expect it to have a little bit of a bouncy ride to it- even if the shocks are good.. (my 75 elky sure did)

You can eliminate that with stiffer shocks- KYBs would definitly be a good middle of the road stiffness shock- However, if you pull the air shocks out of the back of your car it may tend to sit lower than before- You may want to invest in a set of air-bags to go inside the rear springs- these help load & ride much better than the air shocks- and if you valve them individually(not tied together with one line) you will help handling a lot too. (AirLift AirSprings)

The 4th gen elkys really look better with wider rims than the stock 15x7s... You might look into a cheap set of 15x8 Chrome rims (usually $50each) That extra inch will make a big difference in the looks of the car- the wheel will fill up those big wells bigger.

Also- Consider going with a wider tire, not quite so tall- IE: 235/60R15 or even a 245/60R15

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah I am going to agree with Ahsom70, they are bigger cars and will tend to "float". I also think you should go with the 15x8's as well. Another thought, myabe the elco could use some new springs?
-Yoshi

·
Registered
39 Posts
Tires on 77 Elky

2 months ago I put 245/60/15 on the stock rims of my elky, its also a '77 Classic. They told me I could have went with a 255 in back/245 up front but i needed to rotate them, so I have them all around. They ride/handle great, got all 5 for under 500 bucks. they are Grand Am tires i think. I have the stock 15" rally rims, and they take wider tires from what I heard. No rubbing in front when I turn. I have air shocks also, and it handles and rides great with them. Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts