El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
What part of Florida are you in? I know there is a place by my house in Fort Lauderdale.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Ahh... that's a 3 hour drive. Were you looking to have one custom made or just anything that'll fit? What's wrong with your current drive shaft?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
- The reason I ask about your current drive shaft is because if it is too long, local shops will shorten and balance them for you. That is much cheaper than buying a new one.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Havent we gone over this a few times already?

I thought you found a shaft from a pick up that fit.

I've heard good things about Central Florida Driveshaft Inc.

They have 2 places, 1 in Lakeland and 1 in Orlando.

Check their ad in Mike Kellys Cruise News.

Ok, their Orlando store is:

Advance Driveline 5512 Carder Rd. Orlando (407) 299-1100

·
Registered
478 Posts
Cost is fairly cheap to have a driveshaft shortened, as was mine when istalling the 4L60. By the time gas and time is wasted finding just the right one, did you really save anything? Should be many driveshaft shops to choose from if your not out in the boonies somewhere.

·
Deputy Director Region 3 NJ Participating Member
2,087 Posts
What drive shaft you have now?

When I got my '87, it had a 700R4 in it. I swapped that out for a 200R4 and the shaft fit just fine.

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have No Driveshaft !!!!! Some stole my Driveshaft Out of my yard when removed for work on under Body!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Havent we gone over this a few times already?

I thought you found a shaft from a pick up that fit.

I've heard good things about Central Florida Driveshaft Inc.

They have 2 places, 1 in Lakeland and 1 in Orlando.

Check their ad in Mike Kellys Cruise News.

Ok, their Orlando store is:

Shorting cost $85 to $120 plus i have to buy a rignal shaft $35

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cost is fairly cheap to have a driveshaft shortened, as was mine when istalling the 4L60. By the time gas and time is wasted finding just the right one, did you really save anything? Should be many driveshaft shops to choose from if your not out in the boonies somewhere.

Cost $85 to $120 Cash

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
- The reason I ask about your current drive shaft is because if it is too long, local shops will shorten and balance them for you. That is much cheaper than buying a new one.
I have to buy a origanal driveshaft $35 and shorting is $85 to $120 grand total 120 to $155

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought some of my suspension parts from Spohn. Great company to deal with.

http://www.spohn.net/shop/1978-1987-GM-G-Body/Drivetrain/Driveshafts/Extreme-Duty-Driveshafts.html

a 700-R4 is 3" closer to the rear than the 200-R4. You'd also have to account for a 1" shorter (4 total) if you have upgraded to a 8.5" rear end.

Long story short, and I hope someone who knows more than me chimes in, but I believe you need to order a drive shaft with a 700-R4 & 7.5" combo @ 49 1/2"
59' driveshaft is needed for Gbody elcamino with 700-r4

·
Registered
929 Posts
Gonna need to head on down to the junkyard with a measuring tape. Not gonna find someone with that length, you also have to remember you engine and transmission aren't in the stock location, if I remember correctly :poke:

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gonna need to head on down to the junkyard with a measuring tape. Not gonna find someone with that length, you also have to remember you engine and transmission aren't in the stock location, if I remember correctly :poke:
I fixed that problem engine /trans are in stock location!!! Yay

1 - 20 of 23 Posts