El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What Radiators from other cars will fit my 86 elc?

List of Vehicles oem radiators 2 core or 3 core fit 86 el caminos'

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
too bad you wern't at Belton, I took one down for the swap meet, I got a new one from Oreillys for about 200.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I use a 3rd Generation z-28 Camaro aluminum radiator on my El Camino. Excellent cooling. It's a bolt in for me, and it should be for you. I don't run a Chevy. Don't know how much they are new these days, but all the chain autoparts stores sell them. I'd think for under $125.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i ran the stock replacement aluminium /plastic one from autozone was 130. and was a 1 core big tube and it cooled my old 406 with no problem

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use a 3rd Generation z-28 Camaro aluminum radiator on my El Camino. Excellent cooling. It's a bolt in for me, and it should be for you. I don't run a Chevy. Don't know how much they are new these days, but all the chain autoparts stores sell them. I'd think for under $125.
How Many Core is 3rd Gen Camaro Radiators?

Is your engine a turbo buick v6 engine

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i ran the stock replacement aluminium /plastic one from autozone was 130. and was a 1 core big tube and it cooled my old 406 with no problem
I have seen a Brand New Autozone radiator stock replacement /plastic for $130

Radiator is a 1 core and Whats does big Tube mean ???

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
2,055 Posts
it's 2 or 3 ROW, not 2 or 3 core

IMO you would be money ahead gettin a new one, ya never really know what you're gonna get at a yard. i got a 3 row to replace my 2 row a few years back from NPD - it's made by MOLINE and they make good product. i don't remember how much it was BUT it was only about $20 more than the 2 row and was a direct replacement - no fitment issues at all. still very happy and have never overheated since i put it in, even after i put in the new 350.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the modern aluminium radiators have one or two big tubes for the water to flow through .the one tube one in my 86 out cooled the three core high density copper one that was in it originally

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
you have to be careful buying an old copper radiator .copper work hardens with time and becomes brittle and is prone to springing leaks. a new with a lifetime warranty for 130 $ is a no brainer,cheap insurance to protect you investment in your car

·
Registered
589 Posts
Nice radiator but i am looking for used radiator out of salvage yard thats factory 2 or 3 core perfer 3 core

Any Gm Cars have factory 4 core radiators???

I don't know why you want an original style copper type radiator. The Z28 style cool better and are lighter, and it's a bolt in. I ditched the originals, and have them in all three of my G-body cars, oh, and by the way, I got all three at boneyards, some time ago.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Take your core if you have one to a radiator shop and have it re cored.
Here in Ohio,near Cleveland,at Belaire Auto,they have an awesome tech,usually runs about $75.
They have everything tagged and on a shelf if you don't have a core.
They are the most organized yard anywhere.

http://www.bellaireauto.com/

·
Banned
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't know why you want an original style copper type radiator. The Z28 style cool better and are lighter, and it's a bolt in. I ditched the originals, and have them in all three of my G-body cars, oh, and by the way, I got all three at boneyards, some time ago.

The radiator does not have to come from a gbody ANY radiator that fits will work for me

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,209 Posts
Measure twice...Bolt in once. 31"W X 21"H with upper and lower hose necks on the proper side.

It aint rocket surgery or brain science.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts