El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( I just brought home my new-to-me 85 Elky SS and the right side hard rubber strip on my rear bumper, is out of its position and needs to be pushed back into its proper resting spot so it sits flush against the bumper. Any easy way or do this or do I need to loosen up the bumper to be able to loosen the parts up so I have some adjustment room?

·
Registered
224 Posts
The hard rubber strip has the bolts molded into the rubber and may have become separated. I "reglued" mine using urethene rubber like they use on windshields. Epoxy or JBweld would probably also work.

You can try and access it from underneath but I found it much easier to remove the bumper and dissassemble it on the bench. The bumper is held on with 8 bolts at the shocks. To remove, unplug the tailight wiring harness where it goes in the body, remove the 8 bolts and remove bumper. If the car is rusty you may have to cut them off. On the bench remove the inner brace to gain access to the bolts holding on the rubber strip.
When you remove the inner brace you will probably get 10lbs of gravel and dirt out of the bumper. This is a great opportunity to clean things up and paint them as this is a prime rust spot on these cars. Also a good time to fix up the tailight harness if you need to.
Reassemble in the reverse order. If you need a replacement Rubber strip they were on the 78-87 G body Olds, buick and Pontiac wagons. I haven't looked but they are probably also available from one of the suppliers like OPGI

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Howard for the info. The system now makes sense. The rubber came with the bolt heads already glued in, ughhhhhh. I've tried to clean the bolt head and area as best I can and presently trying to reglue with JB Weld. I've clamped it and only put one nick in the paint so far, ugh again.
I never said I was brilliant, just resilliant. If this doesn't work, I'm going to print your directions a go at it the right way.

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Good looking Elky, Stan.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:D Thank you Dan and your elky is quite beautiful too.

I took the easy way out on the bumper. I managed to get it all lined up and flush before dabbing on some JD Weld or whatever it's called. Great stuff and after 5 hours of being clamped securely, it seems to be alright. Then I take it for a ride and the "was working" left power window went blank. I think from having to shut the sagging door soundly. The right window is still working so I suspect a wire loose or ?? I'll have to learn how to take the door panels off now. So much to learn but it's so much fun learning.

·
Registered
123 Posts
On the power windows sometimes the switch contacts get corroded, try mashing the switch back and forth before you take anything apart.

·
Registered
14 Posts
no problem

I just bought a new bumper online. it was around a hundred bucks. when it got here i realized that it didn't come with any of the mounthing hardware, so I ran down to the local hardware store and spent about twenty bucks on some chromed rounded head bolts and mounted, actually it didn't go that smooth, I spent a good three hours cutting off the old mounthing hardware and fighting with all the rusty parts, but in the end it was all worth it. now I'm not imbarassed to drive my car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts