El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm needing some advice on what direction to go with my motor in my 71 elky. Right now it has the original un-touched block, cam, and rotating assembly. Sitting on top is an edelbrock performer intake with some rebuilt cast iron heads and a 500 cfm holley 2 barrel feeding it all. I want more horsepower, my friend took me for a ride in his camaro and it threw me back in my seat, I'm so jealous.

What should I get; heads? cam? new intake? this car is a daily driver with an very very small commute and I LOVE the high lobe sounding idle. Is it worth it or imprtant to keep with the edelbrock performer series line like cam and heads? I also have an edelbrock performer carb (1411) to bolt on if I want.

Sorry to be long winded but I value the opinions in this forum and wanted some sound advice. BTW I dont want speand the farm on this but I do want a screaming elky.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Performance isn't cheap but it can be reasonable----you can use what you have and add a 383 rotating assembly to it and have a screamer fairly inexpensively. Then you would have something you could add to as the budget allows. Surprizingly a 383 stroker can be reasonably economical to drive on a daily basis too....I 've loved every one I've built................Dan

·
Registered
553 Posts
Go the ZZ4 route or the 502 if you have the bucks--save the origional motor and ENJOY:beer: Glenn:beer::nanawrench:

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
"un-touched block" with performance add-ons sounds like trouble to me. Might be time for a rebuild incorporating the mods/add-ons.

Doug

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm loving the idea of a stroker assembly. I'm assuming a good source for that would be Jeg's??

Is it necessary to match the heads to the cam and intake? What I mean is since I have and edelbrock performer intake would it be better for me to get an edelbrock performer cam and heads?

Forgive my ignoorance, I'm a :newbie:

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, but because of the questions your asking, my advice to you is a crate motor, or start doing a whole lot of reading if your going to build your own motor. Pick up a GMPP catalog from a Chevy dealer for about $10, it lists all the crate motors...but more importantly lists all the parts numbers that are used to build those crate motors so you can actually duplicate them building the motor yourself (including a ZZ383), and it will give you an idea on what'll cost you...if you decide that's the way you want to go. You can look at www.sdpc2000.com to also get some ideas on what's available and what can also be duplicated. BEWARE...horsepower does cost money...the more you want the more it'll cost...a 350 smallblock with around 300hp is pretty potent and very streetable, and won't bust the bank...a ZZ383 with Fastburn Heads and the Hot Cam...is really impressive but will cost big bucks...and is not for something used for daily use. Buying a bunch of performance parts and throwing them together doesn't mean your going to end up with the best bang for your buck.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Absolutely true, and for a newbie a crate engine is a real good answer----choose how fast the budget will let you be and have fun......................Dan

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great advice, and no I didn't take anything said wrong. I don't want to just throw together a bunch of parts, i want to do all the research and make a calculated move. This car will not be a DD for long, I will have a company vehicle with gas card.

Just for clarification I asked about matching the heads to intake for a tuned system, not because compatibility. I understand that a tuned system is better than one that is not engineered to work together.

The gears are stock, never checked the ratio.....

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
This car will not be a DD for long,

Just for clarification I asked about matching the heads to intake for a tuned system, not because compatibility. I understand that a tuned system is better than one that is not engineered to work together.
Although I have nothing against Edelbrock Performer heads, there's better heads available, if your looking to make even more horsepower and your not going to be using the car daily and you don't have to be concerned with emissions testing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.