El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my '84 back from the paint shop and now the gauges aren't working. I stripped all the chrome and I've got it all back together with the exception of the front bumper. I replaced the printed circuit behind the dash a couple years ago because the dash lights weren't working and everything has been fine up until now. I checked the fuse last night and it's OK. The dash lights work so I don't think it's a issue with a bad ground. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
5,672 Posts
push on the lower right corner of the cluster and see if anything trys to work.
If so problem with the connector to printed circuit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry I can’t help but I also have an intermittent problem with my dash light. I’m going to try 664Elky’s tip next time it happens. I know I need the light switch mounting tab/bracket as it’s loose.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I tried the "push in on the lower right corner" and it made no difference. All the dash lights work and the factory clock is still ticking away. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
599 Posts
I know the transmission connector on my el camino got inserted backwards which caused a short and the gauges kinda worked , partially worked or some not at all. So it could be a shorting issue .

·
Registered
41 Posts
take the gauge cluster out and test the gauges separately from the bezel with a battery briefly to see if needle moves.. takes 10 mins. If they work then you'll have to pull the bezel out and at the ribbon connector- check your connector pins to the gauges power side for continuity. Your ground is ok or your dash lights would not be working... I bet you it's that connector or the printed circuit board.. I've got one if you need.. cheap.. just pay for shipping..

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Gauges not working

I replaced the printed circuit board with a new one I got from Mike's Monte's a couple years ago and everything has worked fine up until now. I wonder if the vibrations from the body work and sanding jarred something loose?

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
OK, I'm looking at my cheat sheets here and if your 84 is anything like my 87 the gauge fuse is fed directly by the ignition switch. Have you confirmed power to the gauge fuse?

Joe

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't had a chance to check power supply to the fuse yet. It's back at the paint shop getting some things fixed but that's the first thing I'll check when I get it back. Does the power feed in from the left or right side of the fuse?

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Doesn't really matter, if one side is hot and the other is not then the fuse is bad. Only other thing if the fuse is getting power would be loosing ground somewhere.

Joe

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Is there any way to access the main dash plug from underneath just to check and see if that's the issue, push on the back of the plug to see if it's loose?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Doesn't the center section, Oil Pressure, Amps, Fuel and Temp, just push in to the gauge pod on some clips that make the connections? Could that center section have vibrated loose during the body work process?

·
Premium Member
5,672 Posts
The gauges go in the pod independent of each other

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
The clips that baz is referring to are the electrical connection for the gauges, gauge terminal pins stick thru the printed circuit and the little clips press each printed circuit pad to the gauge terminal.

·
Registered
11,708 Posts
hey Vinny, heres some online Gbody diagrams you can link in future posts,,
they don't cover everything tho.. there good for the mid-year stuff,
maybe not the real early or late ones tho...
but !!! don't just copy the link to save it, cause it will be wadded up in all that veggielink BS,
and be about 4miles long,,
go to the site and then save it ...
TEXAS SALUTE1.jpg

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, I got time today to check it out in detail. Checked the fuse, have power there and the fuse is good. Pulled the gauge pod, cleaned all the contacts, followed all the directions about putting a block of wood behind the dash connector and foam behind the printed circuit board. Duct taped the back of the bar supporting the steering column. Still no luck. There's a little black connector that screws to the back of the speedometer that has 3 wires coming out of it, black red and green if I remember correctly. Well that little connector really doesn't connect to anything, there's no connection on the back of the speedo and no connection inside the end of the connector. What's it for?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, I got time today to check it out in detail. Checked the fuse, have power there and the fuse is good. Pulled the gauge pod, cleaned all the contacts, followed all the directions about putting a block of wood behind the dash connector and foam behind the printed circuit board. Duct taped the back of the bar supporting the steering column. Still no luck. There's a little black connector that screws to the back of the speedometer that has 3 wires coming out of it, black red and green if I remember correctly. Well that little connector really doesn't connect to anything, there's no connection on the back of the speedo and no connection inside the end of the connector. What's it for? Am I missing a loose ground somewhere?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts