El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an 85 350--lookin for header set up with no mods -if possible--and dual exhaust combo which does not have earth shattering sound

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
Since you're in NYC, I'm guessing that emission testing is pretty strict...does your's still retain all it's original emission equipment? Is that required to pass inpection?

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
There are several different brands of headers available, some even with provision for connecting the emission tubes. What your State mandates by law is what you must abide by, at least until the vehicle qualifies as an antique. My state just requires that the vehicle passes the emission test. They don't pop the hood to take a look. If you have an engine that has good rings, valve seats and seals, doesn't burn rich, and burns the fuel efficiently, taking into account EGR and PCV are good, and you have a good ignition system, then more than likely it will pass emissions testing, headers or not, catalytic converter or not. Headers and dual exhaust are a performance modification. You're gonna get what you pay for. I like Hooker headers. Dual pipes, in order to have a true dual exhaust, your probably going to have to install an aftermarket crossmember, so you can run the pipes uniformly down both sides of the car. I have seen some guys modify the stock crossmember, but it's cheesy at best. G force makes a really nice crossmember and thanks to El Camino Central, you can get a group discount on the crossmember and a real nice exhaust system. Check with your state to make sure first what you can or can't do!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike thanks for the reply-----emissions is no issue for me---I was thinking of using 350 OEM manifolds andpowder coating them---what do you think---or going with the hooker headers --do you recommend shorties or full lenth---the g-force product is a must-I bought and installed one in another elky-----cats are not necessary but i don,t want it loud again suggestions????

·
Registered
18 Posts
When I take my 85 to get a NYS inspection, they look at, and check the smog pump, cat, cannister to make sure everything is hooked up and working. The emmission test is they check the gas cap. I hear that is going to change shortly. The muffler shops won't work on it if there is no cat.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has anybody seen the original exhaust manifolds powdercoated???And do you know how they will hold up to the heat and abuse---

·
Registered
123 Posts
I run afterburner headers (from summit.com, $135 )with dual cats, dynomax turbo mufflers and 2 1\2 inch pipe all the way out the back. I have a Maximum Torque Specialties fabbed crossmember so I run true duels. My local muffler shop supplied the cats ( $125 each ouch!), the pipes and the turbos. It has a nice low rumble...until you get on it. On the inside it's actually pretty quiet.

·
Registered
105 Posts
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM-CBJJ205&view=257#largerimage

thats what im getting, its 250 for the whole setup, and you can get high flow cats that match up to it for 55 each shipped, thats not too bad....its what im bolting on this summer, hopefully wont have any problems with it. Since your 350 setup and your just goin for more sound and a little performance, you dont need shorty headers. this setup i've determined is pretty much the best for me, figure 350 bucks for a complete side exit system? cant complain!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mellman 99 thanks for the heads up--lets stay in touch I would like to see how it works out-GOOD LUCK--Pete

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Another good Exhaust system is the American Thunder system from Flow Master.
I hung these on the 76 & 80 Elkys. Dual Exhaust, 30 series mufflers, H-Pipe and two different tail pipe tips, turned down and angle cut were included in the kit. All you need is a good set of headers. I chose DynoMax Cerma Coated, short headers for the 76 and regular headers for the 80. With the short headers I had to come up with a small piece of pipe (each side) to span the extra space but if you add Cats then that will take up most of the room. For that piece I used the Turn Down tips, they were extra, took them to a muffler shop had them bent and cut there. So I guess you could say everything I needed was in the box except the headers.

I liked this better because it exited the rear under the bumper not in front of the back tires like most of the rest do. Outside of the car there is pretty good sound, cruising I don't really notice the noise.

My 76 is louder standing in front of the truck while it is running then in the back. Must be the Pete Jackson gear drive. Everyone things I have a Pump in my transmission going out or a bad Power Steering Pump because of that gear drive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For something really quick and cheap and not very noisy, get any muffler shop to put on the stock Monte Carlo SS dual exhaust. I did it for my 80 SS 305 4V with the stock manifold set-up. Nice sound, cheap bucks. (yeah it's not headers and true dual all the way, I know).

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
Elcaminonyc said:
Has anybody seen the original exhaust manifolds powdercoated???And do you know how they will hold up to the heat and abuse---
The powder coating will not hold up. You would need to ceramic coat them to hold up. You can get ceramic coating in a number of colors. Nothing like red or purple but many of the silvers, greys and I think black. I did the polished ceramic coating to my Hooker Super Comps.

NOTE: these were taken at night.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm really happy with my Sanderson headers, part #CC12 ($225) and Flowmaster 40s. Sanderson advertises their headers as leak proof, they also have complete exhaust systems available.

·
Registered
184 Posts
You can also look at the Thorley Tri Y headers, I love mine and all the mufflers shops around here swear by them, plus there smog legal out here which means they are legal everyware.

August

1 - 16 of 16 Posts