El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If any of you are parting out an 80-81, I could sure use the front grill and header panel to replace my damaged ones.

·
Registered
281 Posts
80-81 parts

Good luck finding a 80 grill. I dont think the two years are interchangeable. :dontknow: Ive been looking for a year now. :secret: That includes the suppliers.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
I knew the after market wasn't reproducing the '80 grille but, didn't realize they were so rare that they would be hard to find! It was about 18 years ago I took the complete '80 header panel off my El Camino to install the Choo Choo nose. The '80 header panel has been stored in the attic above my garage ever since! I have not looked at the header panel (or front bumper) in all that time. Who knew!

Doug

·
Registered
571 Posts
gr8ridejester:
have fun looking, I've been on the hunt for at least 4 yrs and all I come across are grills that are worst than mine. talking with a few suppliers, no one is reproducing them , and no one seems to know why.
i did find one a yr ago, in the back of an 80 malibu, but you had you buy the whole car for $3500 which was a bit steep,
and from what I gather th e 81 header will fit,but the grill is not interchangable.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
According to my old crash book, 80 & 81 header panel is the same part #. Grilles have different part #'s. I can't remember which is which but one year has a vertical grille (81?) and the other a horizontal (80?). But since the headers are the same you could use all the 81 parts. I'm thinking the headlight doors don't line up with the other grille. So your headlight doors , grille, and signal lamps would need to be from either 80 or 81. The side markers are the same for both years. Not sure what's the difference in the signal lamps. Might just be one year is clear and the other year is amber? So if that's the case then you could interchange them unless you're a purist.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
The difference in the signal lamp is the design,, one has small square pattern and the 81 I think has retangle pattern,, I just sold a signal lamp to Longroof (Jack) they bolt in the same,, I have a mint 81 header panel (with grill & bezels) I will take pics of to show the difference Matty man

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
I know of two that are good send pm for details ....
thanks for your time woody out cheers :beer:

·
Registered
281 Posts
80 Grill

Right side headlight bezels are still available but very expensive new. Left side apparently went the way of the dodo bird. One of the few parts I havent been able to find. Profitable info to you pick and pull people out there. :wink2:

·
2,566 Posts
Left side parts always go first. Most cars are hit on the left side.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I have both, the grill and headlight bezel but I'm waiting to get my car back that's painting the engine-bay and a few other things while we still have the engine out. I thought it would be done by now heading into the eighth week. Thank-God I'm patience, well to get my mind off it tra yed my PT Cruiser for the Black Metallic 2012 Camaro Convertible. Anyway sorry for the side track, When I get my 80 Caballero back I will check then to see if I want to sell the extra. You are right they don't make 1980 grills, and after-market sucks. Michael in Virginia:smileyb:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
went and looked today grill is perfect will clean up nice
let me know or ill take it to belton:beer:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Replaced mine with this set from Dixie Monte.
After market but fit was reasonable.

81 Grille & Headlight Bezel Set (pair) 1981 El Camino & Malibu reproduction grille and headlight bezel set (pair). Part # DM10266 Price: $89.95

·
2,566 Posts
Makes no sense but people crash into what's right in front of them it seems! Or maybe they're hit while parked on the street. But if you notice when the cars get older, the right side parts are usually still available when the left side has been sold out for years.

·
Super Moderator
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I knew the after market wasn't reproducing the '80 grille but, didn't realize they were so rare that they would be hard to find! It was about 18 years ago I took the complete '80 header panel off my El Camino to install the Choo Choo nose. The '80 header panel has been stored in the attic above my garage ever since! I have not looked at the header panel (or front bumper) in all that time. Who knew!

Doug
So, would you be willing to part with it?

·
Super Moderator
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
went and looked today grill is perfect will clean up nice
let me know or ill take it to belton:beer:
Sent you a PM. :nanawrench:

·
Super Moderator
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Replaced mine with this set from Dixie Monte.
After market but fit was reasonable.

81 Grille & Headlight Bezel Set (pair) 1981 El Camino & Malibu reproduction grille and headlight bezel set (pair). Part # DM10266 Price: $89.95
I'll have to see if I can get a deal otherwise, but I may have to go this route. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts