El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody. I'm not really a regular here, but am an El Camino enthusiast that posts over on Team Chevelle's forums. My car has been acting up lately, severely stuttering and sometimes dying upon acceleration. After trying several things, my dad and I decided to take the car to our local GM dealer. The shop said that it basically needs a complete rebuild and we need to replace a multitude of parts.

My car is a 305 4bbl that is bone stock. It does have 140K miles on it, so this was not a complete shock. My dad and I have decided to try and upgrade to a 50-State legal 350. The thing I really need to know first is if this is possible and if it will still pass smog. I live in California, so it'll be pretty tough. I have been so tired of the weak 305 for so long and now would be a great opportunity to not only give the car a bit of a boost, but to learn more about building engines. The El Camino is my first car, I got it 3 years ago when I was 16 and I really want to see it up and running again, especially if it has more power.

So to sum it up, can anyone point me inthe right direction as far as emmisions laws and the possibility of upgrading to a 350. If this is possible, what route should I take? We want to buy a shortblock and do a build up with 50-state legal parts, but if anyone has a better idea, I am all for it!

Thanks in advance for your advice!

-Kris Horton

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Evening Kris,
If your going with a complete crate engine, check out Jasper Engines. A complete engine comes with a 36 month - 75,000 mile warranty. Kinda tough to beat that.
Not sure about the emmisions part, but I'm sure a quick call to them will comfirm what you need.

I know there are plenty of other options and you'll get a ton of ideas here and Team Chevelle.

Good luck

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
The short verision of the answer is:

The motor that goes into the vehical must be the same year or newer (no truck motors into a car, this includes an Elky). All emissions equipment that was used for that year motor must be in place and operational. When you go to a different motor you are suppose to take the vehical to CARB (Calif. Air Resource Board) and have them certify the setup. They will put a sticker in the engine bay showing that it is. You can also contact them in advance to see if what have planned will be approvable or not.

Not sure how the above would work with a crate motor. I did a 95 LT1 motor and auto tranny into my 82. Somewhat painless and at the same time a pain in the *^%*. :-D Someday I'll get it by the CARB place to get my sticker. Just too busy right now.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks for the info. Looks like we're going with a ZZ4 5.7L Aluminum Head motor. We spoke with the BAR and they said everything checks out. Gonna look into crossing over my current smog equipment and should have the engine by next week some time...I'll keep you all posted though!
Thanks again.
-Kris

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
DOH! Your right it was the BAR and not CARB. Well at least some of the letters are the same. :oops:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

No harm no foul. :-D How do you like that LT1? Had thought at one point about doing a LT1/4L60E(?) combo or perhaps a TPI 305 just for fun, but this news we got today about needing a new engine was so sudden we decided to go for a good, powerful GM Goodwrench engine. Anyone know anything about the ZZ4? Seems to have a fair amount of power, 335 HP rating, but what about torque? Well, that is, before the smog stuff goes back on. After all is said and done, I might be back to 150 HP! Well, maybe not that low.
Thanks,
Kris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts