El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends. When I bought my 72 El Camino the guy I got it from had 255/70R15 tires all the way around. When I got it running it seems as though I'm getting a lot of tire rub when I turn the steering wheel to the left or right. Even the back tires sometimes rub if I'm backing down a hill. I'm sure they're too big so I was wondering if anyone knows the proper size tires that should go on these vehicles. Thanks in advance for your knowledge

·
Registered
915 Posts
Factory tires were G78 x 14. SS used G70.
Todays equivalent would be 225/235-70 x 14.

If you are keeping the 15" wheels a 235/70 or 245/60 x 15 will be satisfactory and keep you out of trouble Others run larger tireswith success but may have special wheel offsets to do so.

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
Yes wheels make a difference. I had 255/60/15 on the rear of my 70 mounted on Corvette rally wheels and they would rub a bit if I loaded it down but normal driving without a load was fine, and 225/70/15 on standard rally wheels for the front without any problems.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Hello friends. When I bought my 72 El Camino the guy I got it from had 255/70R15 tires all the way around. When I got it running it seems as though I'm getting a lot of tire rub when I turn the steering wheel to the left or right. Even the back tires sometimes rub if I'm backing down a hill. I'm sure they're too big so I was wondering if anyone knows the proper size tires that should go on these vehicles. Thanks in advance for your knowledge
My 1965 El Camino (not SS) had too wide of tires 255/70/15 and they rubbed constantly. I changed to 225/70/15 all around so I can rotate them and I have been extremely happy with them. No rubbing and it’s amazing how much anxiety there was driving when I had on the 255s. That all went away and it’s SO much more enjoyable to drive.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My 1965 El Camino (not SS) had too wide of tires 255/70/15 and they rubbed constantly. I changed to 225/70/15 all around so I can rotate them and I have been extremely happy with them. No rubbing and it’s amazing how much anxiety there was driving when I had on the 255s. That all went away and it’s SO much more enjoyable to drive.
I have 245-60-15s on the front of my 72 mounted on Torque Thrust D wheels. The wheels are 8" and I believe are 0 offset. The wheels were on the truck when I got it. No rubbing in the front.
On the rear I run 275-60-15s on the same 8" wheel. When I first put them on, I had one side catch the inner fender and cause a rub on hard right turns. A little massaging on the inner fender and no more issues out back. I do also run air shocks on the rear as well so If I need to carry a load, I can adjust the ride height.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts