El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. So once in a while my Elky wouldn't start unless I wiggled my shifter on my steering column and it eventually wouldn't start at all over time. I decided it was the neutral safety switch because it started up right away when shorting the purple wired plug that goes to it.

I didn't have a switch to replace it with but I took the old one apart, cleaned the contacts and put some dielectric grease on. Aside from the contacts for the reverse lights being slightly worn, everything else appears to look good. Now it works fine.

My question is since it's working like a champ should I just leave it alone or replace it with a new switch since they are pretty inexpensive. I always try to use an original part as long as I can since a lot of stuff seems to be built cheaper and in china.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
if it works dont fix it. i always clean and lube any switch that can be cleaned.its a simple contact switch and they get dirty being by the floor.if the contacts were fine leave it

·
Registered
668 Posts
I agree with CCC. I would add, that you could go to a junk yard and pull another neutral safety switch from just about any Malibu, Monte, maybe Caprice, and maybe any other GM of the same vintage and keep it on hand for insurance.

$.02

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks folks. I plan on keeping it the way it is since it's working. I guess at first I didn't realize just how dirty a cars floor can get until I was down there and thought about it. Probably has a lot to do with the kick panel vent but nothing says old school like a kick panel vent!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts