El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I stopped to buy gas @ the local Sunoco station. While I was fueling a young man, maybe 20 years old, asked me if my car was an "El Camino". I told him it was. Then he asked why it had "Chevelle" lettering on the fron fenders. I said, "because it is a Chevelle".
He shot back at me " El Caminos are Chevrolets, not Chevelles!". I tried to give him a quick, but friendly, tutorial on the trasnsition from 59/60 Chevy Elkos to the Chevelle 2nd generation Chevelle Elkos. I thought I might be abkle to enlighten him since he seemed interested.
He clearly did not accept was I was telling him. He argued that there was something bogus about the fender badging or that it was really not an El Camino. He looked at me and made some muttered insult and turned to walk away.
Of course, I responded to this dummy in kind. He insisted that El Caminos have never been Chevelles. Then he walked away like a happy little moron.
The episode was entertaining for me because I enjoyed watching him struggle with my explanation.
Moral of this story: Never waste your breath arguing with an idiot, especially one who knows more about your ride than you do!

Has anyone else here run into similar nutjobs ?

·
Registered
382 Posts
hahaha, I'm sorry that is absolutely hilarious. please tell me he drove away in a neon or a caviler! i can just see his mind exploding... tooo much info.... don't make since...:Eyecrazy:.

but needless to say :You_Rock: and yes i have had this done, with my own friends. but they listened, i got the question. how does the quarter say El Camino, the grill say chevelle and yet the glove box say Malibu.... it was a story the needed to be told with a few beers. :beer:

·
823 Posts
I confuse them more when I say its a GMC Caballero.....:dontknow:

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
My favorite is "did you make that yourself?"
But seriously go to any car show or cruise night and you'll meet people like this. They always know more than the owners. And they're usually 30 years younger than the cars they know everything about!

·
Premium Member
2,283 Posts
Guy insisted I had the wrong grille on mine even after I showed him the dealer brochure and other documents. And if I had a dollar for every person who's friend had a Chevelle just like mine ( I have a Skylark) I could buy a Chevelle.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Money ...

I could only afford a half a Chevelle, so they gave me an El Camino. Didn't even get the rear seats for the bed!

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,689 Posts
Run for your lives , the nut jobs are everwhere ! I occassionally get one at a car event where one insists on telling me some fractured fairy tale on the El Camino . I get lots of them here in Key West where someone who recently moved here or is just visiting , telling us we have had the estimated 3000 chickens walking around this 2x4 mile island for decades and they are all the proud decendants of the fighting roosters of old . Hey , never let the facts get in the way of a good story . I smile , try to be polite and walk away . One of my favorite sayings is " never wrestle with a pig because you both get dirty and the pig likes it " .

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,209 Posts
The Caballero thing gets lots of them too. Had a guy at the show yesterday who just kept telling me it had to be a Sprint and Caballero was wrong. After explaing that the change was made in the 5th gen at least 3 times I just had to make an excuse and walk away. Of course he had much more interest in my nostalgic old JAX cooler in the back.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
been asked if it's a ranchero more than once. I just say no.:let_it_all_out:

·
Registered
386 Posts
:poke:Note to self !

'70 to '72 Elcamino's have the Chevrolet emblem on Front Grill and also would be on the Tail Gate if It's not an SS

'70 to '72 Chevelle's have the Chevelle emblem on the Grill not Chevrolet...

·
Registered
802 Posts
I had a Ford Tempo back in the day and I painted the Cummins symbol on the fenders... you wouldnt believe how many people actually believed it!

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
I had a Ford Tempo back in the day and I painted the Cummins symbol on the fenders... you wouldnt believe how many people actually believed it!
So its people like you that start these rumors!!!:poke:j/k:smile3:

·
813 Posts
How dare you LockJaw think that you know more about your own vehicle that a 20 year old kid !!!!! Lol :poke:

I love that, sounds like my son trying to tell me that he knows more than me in his 16 years of wisdom....lol

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
My FAVORITE is ongoing...EVERY TIME this pimple faced kid at our local grocery store carries my groceries out to my Elky, he says the same thing, "Cool...my Grandpa has a RANCHERO JUST like this!". The first 3 or 4 times, I tried to explain to him that MY El Camino is not a RANCHERO, but now I just smile and respond with, "hmmm I'd love to see it sometime.", and he shuts right up. I'd like to run him over!! :dontknow:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hey James, I was wondering,.. just how did you install that borrowed 'Chevelle' nameplate on your Chevy anyway? I guess the young man was born around the Silverado model body style/head light change era. Just smile & walk away,.. - George

1 - 20 of 47 Posts