El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This is my first attemp at removing and installing a welded on body panel. I'm suprised by how little trouble it gave me. I think the most involved step was removing the little triangle window. This was my last major step on getting the '78 done. My goal is 4 more weeks before it's back on the road! The big box in the back contains my full dual exhaust from G-force 8)

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
Very nice. 8) You're braver then me. I don't think I would attempt that unless my life depended on it. Too scary.

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Lookin' good. Like the wheels, too.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Poltergeist said:
Very nice. 8) You're braver then me. I don't think I would attempt that unless my life depended on it. Too scary.
Honestly, it really wasn't that bad. I thought the same thing before I started 8O

Heres my first attemp at body panel welding:

A series of small tack welds = no warpage 8) The whole process had me nervous, it was always in the back of my mind that I was going to burn some unrepairable hole in the panel :D But, this turned out well, and the body shop would have hosed me for $700-$800 to install it 8O

·
Banned
881 Posts
Looks good so far. :thumbsup: What did it cost for the q-panel and how is the quality compared to OEM? I've know that some of the q-panels available are stamped overseas and they are thinner than OEM ones.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Looks really good. I assume you used a small gas welder? How did you hold the panel in place for good fit up? Did you flange the pillar sheet metal or butt weld?

Ageed on that little triangle window. I think it would take dynamite to remove it.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
87ElCamino said:
Looks good so far. :thumbsup: What did it cost for the q-panel and how is the quality compared to OEM? I've know that some of the q-panels available are stamped overseas and they are thinner than OEM ones.

The panel cost $299 + $100 shipping from Honest Charlies. It is a Tiawan stamping, and it is thinner than stock metal. The quality seems to be very good, it fit right in and lined up great!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mecheng said:
Looks really good. I assume you used a small gas welder? How did you hold the panel in place for good fit up? Did you flange the pillar sheet metal or butt weld?
Question #1: I used a 110V wire welder with flux core wire.

WELDER:

Question #2: I held the panel in place with visegrips :mrgreen:

Question #3: I cut the sail/pillar panel even with the new panel for a butt weld.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts