Last year we increased the El Camino classes to 6 as follows:
Gen 1
Gen 2
Gen 3
Gen 4
Gen 5 A-body
Gen 5 G-body
(all classes mixed Stock and Modified)

The problem was that in some glasses like Gen 1 and 4 only one car showed up! The other problem was that putting stock and modified together isn't really fair to the stock vehicles.

So,... this this year there will be a change. We're expanding to 7 classes and going back to the old formula of grouping classes BUT with separate stock and modified. Thus:

1st/2nd Generatios:
59-67 Stock
59-67 Modified

3rd/4th Generations:
68-77 Stock
68-77 Modified

5th Generations:
78-81 Stock
82-87 Stock
78-87 Modified (if enough modified come this will be split into 2 classes for A & G)

If the Gen 5 modifieds get expanded to 78-81 and 82-87 then we will be having 8 classes!

So anyone who has already registered you'll be automatically changed if need be. Anyone about to pre-register if you don't see these classes in the drop down menu wait another day or two as it will take Carlisle Events a few days to make the change.

On a side note I've also managed to get them to make a separate El Camino class for Truck Carlisle for the first time. If anyone is interested in that show I HIGHLY recommend you come to Truck if you can, a real blast!

·
Registered
434 Posts
I was wondering the same thing but didnt ask for fear of looking dumb, thanks Tsumamigregg!

·
Banned
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Leo,
What is an A body 5th Gen?
The 5th Gen was built on the A-body platform from 78-81, the 82-87 was on the G-body. Because the 5th Gens are so prevalent at Carlisle last year they split the class so more people had a chance at winning an award.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I drive a '79 and did not know that. Thanks for the lesson.:beer:

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
The 5th Gen was built on the A-body platform from 78-81, the 82-87 was on the G-body. Because the 5th Gens are so prevalent at Carlisle last year they split the class so more people had a chance at winning an award.
A-body and G-body, besides years what the differents?

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - 2013 Founders' Award Re
3,661 Posts
Your a true El Camino lover and do so much to get things done, hope I make it one day, the guys should thank you.

Don't agree! with the combining of Gens, your right on with the stock / modified split in each Gen but not 1 & 2 or 3 & 4 together even with a shortage of 4's (it's only a $9.00 trophy to be wasted). Nine out of ten shows 1 beats 2 and 3 beats 4 with 5 having no problem all years together spliting 5th is a good idea A to G body for those that know or care do to the amount of 5th Gen cars.
Your 1st years set up is great just add the stock/modified to each Gen class, I know it is more funds for the additional 5 awards but it's done for the Corvomits, Trucks, Camaro's and Chevelles in any upper end show. Adds almost no change to the judging as each car is judged anyway adds some but not enough no to do it.

However you do it Leo your work is a good thing and is way ahead of no one caring, Thank you on behalf of the hobby that is just my idea from following an attending every El Camino show with a direct El Camino class where ever I haved lived for 20 years +. The other award add might be overall Best EL Camino all Gens/all years.

Great work
Thank You

·
Director Region 22
1,208 Posts
did not know that ,but I do now . and as usual Leo your efforts are MUCH appreciated.:You_Rock:

·
Premium Member
1,357 Posts
Your a true El Camino lover and do so much to get things done, hope I make it one day, the guys should thank you.

Don't agree! with the combining of Gens, your right on with the stock / modified split in each Gen but not 1 & 2 or 3 & 4 together even with a shortage of 4's (it's only a $9.00 trophy to be wasted). Nine out of ten shows 1 beats 2 and 3 beats 4 with 5 having no problem all years together spliting 5th is a good idea A to G body for those that know or care do to the amount of 5th Gen cars.
Your 1st years set up is great just add the stock/modified to each Gen class, I know it is more funds for the additional 5 awards but it's done for the Corvomits, Trucks, Camaro's and Chevelles in any upper end show. Adds almost no change to the judging as each car is judged anyway adds some but not enough no to do it.

However you do it Leo your work is a good thing and is way ahead of no one caring, Thank you on behalf of the hobby that is just my idea from following an attending every El Camino show with a direct El Camino class where ever I haved lived for 20 years +. The other award add might be overall Best EL Camino all Gens/all years.

Great work
Thank You
Totally agree!

·
Banned
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As far as combining classes is concerned we don't have a lot of choices here. Ideally it would be great to have separate Stock & Modified in each Gen but that would mean 10 or possibly 12 classes. Carlisle would not allow that unless we had close to 150 cars! So combining the classes is the best compromise.

·
Banned
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm working on the ECC awards to be presented at this year's show. So far they are:
Best 1st through 5th Gen Stock (5 awards)
Best 1st through 5th Gen Modified (5 awards)
Best Engine
Best Interior
Best Paint
Furthest Traveled
(more to be announced)

Certificates of Dubious Achievement:
Worst Paint
Most Dents
Wash Me!
Dirtiest Engine
Hall of Shame

I'm always open to suggestions so fire away!

These will be certificates as last year unless a trophy sponsor steps forward, hope springs eternal!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts